• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns related arthritis -- what is the pain like??

I have had CD for 30 years. Around my diagnosis, I noticed large joint pain... It would either be in my ankle, knee, or most commonly, my wrists. Fast forward 30 years, and I still get the wrist pain. There is no rhyme or reason when I get it, it seems. It will appear, stick around a few days, then disappear. I have always considered this to be crohns related arthritis. Mine is a sharp pain in my wrist(s) when using my wrist. The only relief is immobilization. It was the same thing with my ankle or knee.

My question to you is, what does your crohns related arthritis feel like? Is the pain sharp? Does immobilization help?

We have a section in here called Extra Intestinal Manifestations. You might want to repost your question there. Best to you.

it feels like my joints are burning!
and it comes and goes ... i can have it for some days or just for an hour.
depends on how active crohn is at the moment.
i usually have it in the soulders and knees.
sometimes in toes and fingers.
immobilization doenst help me at all, exactly the opposite !

Maya142

Staff member
Both my daughters have AS and my younger one also has Crohn's. They describe the pain as aching and throbbing and sometimes sharp.

Signs of inflammatory arthritis are stiffness in the morning and pain that gets better with movement.

That said, when my daughter has elbow pain she stops using that arm completely and gives it a rest. Sometimes we wrap, so I guess that could be considered immobilization.

I'd suggest seeing a rheumatologist.

CCFA has good info about the various kinds of arthritis that are associated with Crohn's:http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/arthritiscomplications.pdf

Certain types of arthritis flare when the IBD flares and other types flare independently of the IBD. They are typically treated differently, which is why it's important to see a rheumatologist.

My girls use a lot of heat and ice for their joints. Good luck!

Thank you. I know mine is related to Crohns.... I've had X-rays, etc. havent been to a rheumatologist in about 20 years, however. I hate adding one more doctor to the mix, but I guess it is inevitable.

I mostly feel stiff and get a dull ache. Sometimes I get sharp pains, especially in my ankles and knees.

I used to get a lot of pain in my wrists; I bought some wrist braces and used to leave them on for hours keeping my hands immobile which did give some relief. But then I found some stretching exercises and have had hardly any problems since.

I mostly feel stiff and get a dull ache. Sometimes I get sharp pains, especially in my ankles and knees.

I used to get a lot of pain in my wrists; I bought some wrist braces and used to leave them on for hours keeping my hands immobile which did give some relief. But then I found some stretching exercises and have had hardly any problems since.
That sounds similar to what I am experiencing. My wrist pain is sharp. I get some achiness but the pain that gets in the way of daily life is the sharp pain in my wrists when I use the wrist (picking things up, twisting, turning steering wheel, etc). I have a Velcro wrist brace (Walmart) and it seems to help. As soon as I take it off, bam! The pain is back.

I also have a touch of carpal tunnel in both wrists and my ortho has offered the wrist/hand splints. I should probably take him up on it as it may help this other issue (which I have had since the onset of CD 30 years ago).

I had arthritis that acted just like Rheumatoid arthritis, deep pain in joints, inflamed to the point where I could not move them, even if I wanted to . After 2 months, my knuckles started swelling and looking a little disfigured. I got on some serious turmeric supplements and over a month's time, they went back to normal.