• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First diagnosed with uc now crohns....might lose my colon...advise needed

I'm new to the forum and have been going through very hard times this year so far...I was diagnosed with uc when I was 12...being young and dumb I never really stayed up on medication...well now I'm 25 and have been in the hospital 3 times starting Jan 1st 2016 for a total of 26 days and now I became diagnosed with crohns diseas.. I had a perferation of the colon and it created an abscess well surgeons want to remove my colon but gi Dr are trying to let it heal of infection and then start intravenous antibiotics. Ive been off work for 6 weeks now and really haven't eaten a solid meal. I have been very stressed out and worried...has anyone gone through something similar. Can you share your story/advice.
Thank you very much.....Royce

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Rodell650 and welcome to the forum! :) I'm really sorry to hear about everything you're going through. :hug:

They want to remove your entire colon rather than a section/do a resection? Have they discussed any other treatments besides the IV antibiotics to treat the UC or Crohn's?

I wasn't facing possibly having my colon removed but I was hospitalized for almost 3 months when I was 9 years old back when I was first diagnosed. I know what it's like to be in there for so long and not really be able to eat. I was on a liquid diet for at least a month and then was allowed soft foods towards the end of my stay there. It's very frustrating and tiring. Funny thing is, every time I got home I always wished I was back in the hospital because I didn't have to deal with any homework or chores. As an adult though I can only imagine how frustrating that would be with an actual job or if you have any children.

I had a resection when I was 17 and did have an abscess as a complication after surgery. I took antibiotics and had to have my wound re-opened and packed with gauze twice a day from the inside out until it fully healed. That took about a month.

We do have a section on the forum for people with stomas if you want to talk to other members who have gone through that type of surgery already. You can find that section here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Keep us posted with how you're doing. :)

fuzzy butterfly

Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry for your need to be here. I hope you can get away with not losing all your colon . I wish you all the best of luck with this. Please let us know how you get on. 💕

Good morning! I was recently in the hospital for surgery for my crohn's back in June 2015. I had to have emergency surgery for a perf in my small intestine. After the surgery, about 4 days later, the connection they put back together fell apart. My intestines were described as friable.

They ended up giving me a stoma and I was on antibiotics for the infection for about six weeks. I was in the hospital for a total of a month (2 extra weeks of antibiotics at home). Mine was not in the colon, so I don't have the exact same experience, but mine did eventually heal and I had my reversal last month.

I hope everything clears up and you don't have to lose your colon. Good Luck!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles.

In a situation like this, I think I'd go with what the GI says.

I hope they are able to get things under control!