• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone doing triathlons, Ironman, other endurance sports?

I'm training for 70.3 Ironman and am finding the physical activity is causing unbearable inflammation and I can't seem to get a handle on it. I think in another week or so I'll be heading to emerge with a flare-up. Does anyone else have endurance training experience?

I'm sorry to hear this :(

Before my first big flare and diagnosis a few years ago I was over a year deep into endurance training, specifically running with strength training using plyometrics and weightlifting throughout the week as well. I ended up having to stop everything because I was so fatigued. I needed to recover, regain weight that started to come off (I cannot afford to lose) and stop the bleeding. I moved to yoga and pilates as my exercise when I could. After a few months I was doing much better, the meds kicked in and I again started to endurance train, climb my mountains and go on extended hikes. Within a few months I became totally symptomatic and had to repeat, here is where pred started being used. I have had this vicious cycle repeat every 4-6 months or so since. I also had a heavy endurance industry job which I am most likely going to have to give up. I never noticed a correlation between my endurance training causing my inflammation or not but the timing is interesting when I look back now that you mention it.
I will probably start a new med when I see my GI doc in a week and a half at his suggestion which I initially balked at - after a lot of thought and discussion and reading on the forum here, I am hoping more than anything that something like Remicade will give me my life and my physical endurance back. I am willing to get a new job but having a healthy physically active lifestyle is so important to me too.

I look forward to hearing anyone else's experience with this. I need to say: whatever happens don't give up, do what you can do only when you can do it, and don't be too hard on yourself. The last one I am still working on myself.

wow! our stories are so similar. I also work in industry - forestry - so hot bush days are a contributing factor to flare-ups.
I also do yoga and meditation to bring calmness into my life as I'm can get pretty intense which contributes to flare-ups. :ysmile:
There's lots of research documenting the physiological stress of exercise/training on the body so if you already have a compromised system (like the digestive) then we have to do things differently to manage the negative effects of too much training.
I too have been in the prednisone cycle every 4-6 months. I'm so resisting going on the biologic. I do homeopathy and herbs and lots of pro-biotic. I was doing really well for 3 months prior to xmas, but then xmas turned into a free-for-all booze and chocolates and fatty food, and I didn't make time to clean-up before tri training started. So there's stress and more stress on the organs. I'm in tears this weekend because I think I'm going to have to abandon my race b/c my body can't take the training. I want to try medical marijuana before giving into a biologic but its taking forever to get into the prescribing doctor. Can you post your course of action as a result of your appointment next week? You make such a convincing point about getting your life back by going on Remicade. lol

As far starting this post goes, I was just wondering what other people have learned about their bodies while endurance training - like timing of meals, fueling during activity, solids or liquids and so forth.