• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New guy

Hey everyone! Just found this site while looking for information on Cimzia results.

Little history on myself... I was diagnosed with CD in '91 as a scenior in highschool. At that time I was on sulfa drugs and steroids. I had a "emergency" resection in '92 and was fortunate to have 15 years of remmision after that.

About 2 years ago I started having flair ups. I ended up being hospitalized w/steriods and pain killers until it was back under control.

I was on Entocort for a while and Asocol. Eventually that didn't work anymore either and I ended up back with back to back hospital stays. The second one ending in with my 2nd resection.

I just recently had my 2nd set of Cimzia shots. Since my 2nd recection, my pain and severe cramping are gone, but i've been having mad restroom visits. Really hoping that Cimzia will control this for me, but I haven't seen any evidence of this yet.

I've been using Immodium to slow things down for me, but i'm wondering how long before I start seeing results from Cimzia...

and HI EVERYONE!

Welcome to the forum! I have never been on Cimizia so I can't help you there. Hope you feel some relief soon.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Shawne, welcome, it was great you had 15 years remisson, I was dx in 1993 and still waiting for complete remission. Cant help you either with the Cimzia but I have tried Remicade (allergic) and Humira which are in the basic same family biologics. Some people do amazing on it for years and some dont have relief long enough. Most biologics take up to 6 weeks to see any improvement so dont be discouraged. Everyone is different with treatment but I hope it works great for you! Hang in there.

I'm on Cimzia and gave myself the third loading dose last Tuesday - I have been flaring for 6 weeks since starting this drug and going off the Remicade - only in the past week have things calmed down a bit so at least I can eat again - still running to the bathroom though ...the Remicade took weeks and weeks to kick in for me so maybe this one will too - I think everyone is different and you somehow have to be patient - not an easy thing to do when you are sick I know ...I now go on once a month injections and we shall give it a couple of months and if I am not as well as I was with the Remicade I shall go back to the doc. Hope yours kicks in soon and welcome - this is a great site for info and support

:welcome: shawne. I haven't been on Cimzia either so I can't say anything about that. But my doctor did say that after a resection you will go more often anyway even if you don't have Crohn's. Also, depending on when your resection was and what kind of antibiotics and such you got in the hospital you will still have to go more often as well. Hang tight. Glad to see you had a 15 year remission. I'm voting for another 15 years for you again! Welcome again, and I hope you feel welcome and enjoy yourself here. We're a good group. :)

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
:welcome: Shawne!

Humira isn't working as well as I'd hoped for me (although a lot of ppl have great luck w/it), and Cimzia is one I've been looking at.

Hope you find your answers AND feel better!

@CrohnieCarolyn

I take my third set of shots this thursday. Have you had joint pain or itchy skin from it at all? I don't know if i'm just getting old or if it's genetics or the drug, but i've been real "achey" and my knees feel like they could blow up sometimes. I've also been very itchy lately, but it's a dry time of year to so i'm not sure which to attribute it to.

@everyone else

Thanks for the Welcome! I got the biggest kick out of some of the nicknames around here like: "imisspopcorn" (so true) and "mybutthurts" (so very true):ylol2:

So far I haven't had any side effects - no joint pain or itchy skin - the Remicade on the other hand gave me both! I think everyone is different - if it gets really bad you should call the doc.