• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for some sort of answer.... Completely new on here

Hi everyone. So back in August I had my first colonoscopy done after developing a fissure at 21 years old. The only thing found was a polyp (precancerous) and no signs of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. I then started to lose weight and developed severe ulcers in my mouth with no idea what caused them. So I was sent for an upper and lower scope. In that scope they found terminal ileitis (some sort of ulcer) at the beginning of my small intestine. I only occasionally suffered from diarrhea I just often had mucousy or a little blood in my stool. (Gross sorry tmi). Once again still no signs of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. So they gave me cipro and flagyl for the so called ulcer. That is when everything went awful. Because I was weak I contracted cdiff and it has been the worst week of my life. I am on antibiotics again to get rid of the infection hopefully and j have been super good about washing my hands and everything. I have a ct scan on the 12th. I am really confused and scared and I was wondering if anyone can relate to my experience or help me in any way?

Sorry you're dealing with this.. I have had crohns since 2008 and I work in the health care field. I got Cdiff last summer and experienced 3 different bout of it. (I've had Cdiff twice before that too) Flagyl and Cipro are tough drugs.. I just came off of taking them for a month for a fistula and microperforation. It was tough. I pretty much survived on Hydrocodone and Zofran. I ended up having a fecal transplant that was amazing. I haven't had any cdiff infections since.. How long are you on the flagyl and cipro? If you're having a hard time with those drugs maybe ask about getting on vancomyacin. It has a lot less side effects and is a stronger antibiotic to treat Cdiff. Make sure to really hydrate! also Use bleach on everything in the bathroom at least once a week. Bleach is the only thing that kills Cdiff. Right before my fecal transplant I bleached everything.. our blankets, everything. Cdiff can cause inflammation in the bowel too which causes the diarrhea and abdomen pain. Good luck with everything

Thank you that really helps. I have been bleaching everything but I can't bleach my blankets because il ruin them. I'm worried about it returning and I am really hoping it goes away first try. I've been taking probiotics and eating a lot of activia too. This is just an awful experience for me :(. They have me taking flagyl and cipro both three times a day for ten days. I think I caught the cdiff very early in the infection because one day of antibiotics so far and I haven't had anymore diarrhea. I'm also just making it a point not to touch my mouth or anything for that matter. My hands are becoming dry because I think I might be over washing them. Is it possible to get rid of the cdiff after one round of antibiotics? I keep reading horror stories about it because I spend too much time on the internet because sometimes I feel like my doctor doesn't really care about my problems enough and I have been waiting to find one that does.

If this is your first time having cdiff its a good chance you will get rid of it with one go of antibiotic.. it's good you're doing the probiotic and everything. Are you on any type of immunosuppressant drugs? I've been on them since 2008 and working in a hospital is pretty tough, as I come in contact with germs all day long. However, I wash my hands a lot.. If your hands get really dry, try using aquaphor on them(i use it on my kiddos butt for diaper rash but it works wonders on dry hands too) Also I drink a gatorade a day just to keep my electrolytes in check.. but if you aren't having diarrhea then you probably don't need to do that. I'd say just keep up what you're doing.. It'll get better :)

Okay thank you! I am not on any immunosuppressants. I'm more worried about my ct scan showing that I also have Crohn's. My doctor basically told me he thought that was the case with all of my symptoms. It has been a really stressful couple of months for me and I'm hoping to find some relief.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi km welcome . Im so sorry for all your going through. Its a nightmare to go through all this. Im sure that once you get a diagnosis and the right meds , things will get better for you. Hang in there. 💕💕 best wishes n good luck ☺