• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Which blood tests?

Hi. Got a GP appointment on Thursday. Pillcam and Calprotectin both showing inflammation. Are there specific blood tests I should ask for to rule in/out Crohns? I've got many of the symptoms apart from diarrhoea so trying to find out what is going on!! I haven't had any blood tests for over a year.

Pillcam and Calprotectin are stronger tests than blood tests, although ASCA etc. are available. When you last had blood tests, what were the results, if I may know?

Pillcam and Calprotectin are stronger tests than blood tests, although ASCA etc. are available. When you last had blood tests, what were the results, if I may know?
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't know! The bloods were taken whilst I was in hospital after my colonoscopy went wrong and no-one told me any results! Colonoscopy was clear though!

One can ask for inflammatory markers such as ESR and CRP. A high value would further strengthen suspicions, but I am not sure whether in your situation (inflammation visible) a low value would negate suspicions.

There have been considerable debate over blood tests on this forum, and I now think that if there is visible inflammation, blood tests cannot negate suspicions.

I would ask about your B12 level too, as its absorbed at the end of your small bowel, and if it's at a low level could be another pointer and needs addressing.
The inflammatory markers in my blood show within the normal range, just. My faecal calprotectin (stool test) level is elevated. My consultant takes notice of the stool test result, and very little or no notice of the blood test result.
It was my consultant who insisted I have B12 injections as my GP dismissed the level as within normal range...yes, it was, but only by one! It's one injection every three months ongoing, and has made a significant difference to how I feel.
Best of luck.
Bunty x

I would ask about your B12 level too, as its absorbed at the end of your small bowel, and if it's at a low level could be another pointer and needs addressing.
The inflammatory markers in my blood show within the normal range, just. My faecal calprotectin (stool test) level is elevated. My consultant takes notice of the stool test result, and very little or no notice of the blood test result.
It was my consultant who insisted I have B12 injections as my GP dismissed the level as within normal range...yes, it was, but only by one! It's one injection every three months ongoing, and has made a significant difference to how I feel.
Best of luck.
Bunty x
Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking what level was your faecal calprotectin? Mine was 319 last time I had it done (3 weeks ago). I will ask about my B12 level. My Gastro doc thinks that as well as ulcers and inflammation shown on the pillcam are nothing to worry about and may not be what's causing my symptoms!

I don't know the exact figure, the consultant just said it was over 300 and that was a good (or bad) enough result, along with the results of a flexible sigmoidoscopy and my symptoms, for me to be started on inflixmab last November. I'd had no success with any other drugs for various reasons.
Incidentally, diarrhoea isn't one of my symptoms either. It's blood and mucous in my stools which are the first indications that I'm having a flare up, and then fatigue.
There's something called intrinsic factor which needs to be in your body for B12 to be absorbed, which can also be tested for in your blood test. Worth having a good chat with your GP about it all tomorrow.
Best wishes
Bunty x

Thanks for the reply. Doctor said blood tests a good idea although he didn't know what I'm feeling so tired after bowel movements. He kept talking about how crohns affects people and I had to tell him I haven't been diagnosed yet! I've also got 5 days worth of steroids to take! No answers just more questions I'm afraid. Will have to see if blood tests show anything but even for a blood test I have to wait 2 weeks as no appointments!

Thanks for the reply. Doctor said blood tests a good idea although he didn't know what I'm feeling so tired after bowel movements. He kept talking about how crohns affects people and I had to tell him I haven't been diagnosed yet! I've also got 5 days worth of steroids to take! No answers just more questions I'm afraid. Will have to see if blood tests show anything but even for a blood test I have to wait 2 weeks as no appointments!

The thing about Crohn's is you can't ever really be diagnosed with it nor can you NOT be diagnosed with it. I know, how confusing?! Lol. Sure they can say that's what you've got based on the combination of test results, but since there is no known cause for crohns, there really isnt a set diagnostic tool to look at and say "yup! This is crohns!" Some people NEVER even have clinical symptoms at all, they are *diagnosed* with crohns based only on some tests. Some people have every clinical symptom in the book, but the tests are all "negative" and they still have crohns (or don't) Lol. It all depends on your particular Dr and what your Dr uses for diagnosis.

My situation is a good example. I was *diagnosed* 8 years ago via barium enema. Now depending on which Dr I see the barium enema either confirms my diagnosis or they want to do more tests. My current GI isn't happy with a barium enema *diagnosis* and so had me have an MRI....which my GP says indicates crohns but my GI is still not happy with that and wants a colonoscopy and biopsies for diagnosis.

So it really all depends on what your particular GI does for testing for *diagnosis*.

I would think if you had a prescription you could walk in anywhere that they do blood work , give them the prescription and get the blood work done.

stylingmama-

I agree 100%. Every Dr has their own "standard" and very rarely to we fit into that.
My colonoscopy has shown it twice but, an upper GI and now Ct scan do a better
job. All your tests be negative and you can still have it.

Dmarks- I hope you have some answers soon and a treatment plan put in place.

This disease is so much fun!!

Lauren