• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy Results

Hello, everyone. i was here last year as one of the undiagnosed. I am stil trying to figure out the meaning of this biopsy. My doc says its not enough to diagnose Crohns or UC. I am jsut rying to understand it. I can't afford to get a second opinion right now, but I was wondering if anyone have experience reading biopsy reports. I would be grateful.

Here are the results.

Rectal Biopsy
- ACTIVE PROCTITIS, MILD TO MODERATE
Sections show increased numbers of chronic inflammatory cells in lamina propria for this far distally, with scattered neutrophils in the lamina propria as well. Changes of chronic colitis are not seen. No granulomas are seen. No dysplasia is seen.

For me it took 3 different tests that all showed crohns before they would officially diagnose me with crohns.. Since the medications are all so harsh on the system. I had a CT, Labs and Capsule Endoscopy that all showed Crohns.

Sounds like the inflammation is fairly new, as it says chronic changes aren't seen. Inflammation can come from a few different things as well. Certain bacteria, or diseases can cause inflammation.

Sorry it just sounds like an inconclusive study to me

Thank you!! I know that I probably need more tests. I had two CT scans that didn't show anything. I prefer not to go through all that radiation again. I guess I could get another colonoscopy and blood work. I see that you mentioned other things can cause inflammation. Its weird that I actually tested positive for C Diff after taking some antibiotics. Then, after testing positive, I tested negative twice. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the proctitis. Either way, I hope I can find the funds to get to the bottom of this before things get worse. A of right now, I have a very dull ache in my abdomen, and some rectal discomfort, but could be hemmorhoids as I have always had them. Thanks again.

If you're concerned about radiation there is always mri. It gives the same results basically as ct. Also cdiff could cause inflammation. Were u on an antibiotic to clear the cdiff when they retested you?

I was supposed to start Flagyl, but I test negative the second time. My doc tested again a third time to make sure it wasnt a false negative. I never took any antibiotics for it after that. He didn't give me any medicine for the proctitis which baffled me. I am honestly not sure what I have going on anymore.