• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hgh?!

Hello everyone.
I've said this many times before so I'm just going to quickly summarize my issue. I'm turning 15 (female in grade9) and I'm the same size as I was in grade 6. I have not grown at all and was diagnosed with Crohn's last June. I've had a bone age scan.. I'm 12.5y/o bone wise and I hate it. Everyone always tells me how small and tiny I am and the worst part is it's true. All my friends are regular sized, gorgeous girls and I'm the skinny, short twig with a fat face thanks to prednisone (currently tapering off). My older sister (16) is a bombshell and my younger sister (12) is way bigger than me. I was wondering if taking a course of human growth hormone could jumpstart my puberty. If any of you have experience with HGH or endocrinologists or anything besides EEN that'll make me grow, please share!!
Thanks

I think you have to love you for you.. Easier said than done at your age.. But even if you never look like your friends or your sisters there are other things that make you unique and beautiful.. THat sounded like a cheesy poster, but it is true.. Even if you grow and become non-petite(which I think petite is awesome!) there will always be things you don't like about how you look.. Sometimes it's good to accept that you are the way you are, and you are meant to look the way you look.

I don't have any experience with endocrinology.. And really above is the only advice I can give.. But I do hope you find what you need :) It's hard to battle this disease as an adult, I can only imagine dealing with all of teenagerdom and Crohns.. Good luck to you. Hopefully one of the other experienced teens or parents can help you out.. I've seen a few posts on growth but as I'm not a teen nor a parent of a kid with Crohns I didn't read much on them.

I agree with JaimeM above! This disease can really suck, and it can make you feel very discouraged and upset about your body. I was diagnosed when I was 13 (now I'm 23) and I remember going through troubling times similar to yours. I am substantially smaller than all of my friends and I grew up being the smallest one. I also went to prom and started college with horrendous acne and a moonface because of good ole' prednisone. HGH was an option that I looked into many years ago as I was struggling with these personal issues. The process to be approved to take the medication was extensive. It might have changed since then, but I remember it was a lengthy process full of tests and doctor visits. You need to love who you are and own it!! If HGH seems to be the solution for you and will ultimately make you happy, then I say go for it! Sure looks are important to some, but you need to feel comfortable about yourself in order to be happy and live life to the fullest. Keep your chin up! Stay smiling :)

Your goal should be health. To get the Crohn's into remission. If you are genetically supposed to be taller than you will gain height when the Crohn's is under control. If you are genetically meant to be petite then there is nothing you should do. I remember what it is like to be a teenager; I couldn't imagine how difficult it must be having to deal with Crohn's and illness along with it. Being tall has its advantages but being petite has its advantages as well. Love yourself for who you are.

Thanks for all the responses.
Just to clear something up.. I'm extremely short but it's being extremely small that I absolutely hate. I don't like my height but I really hate my size. So yes, health is obviously my goal but right now I'm pretty much 100% and still not growing. My doc said they put in a requisition to an endocrinologist but it might take 6 months just for a phone call. I don't think they really care that much about me wanting to see one, and considering they aren't even prescribing me the right meds right now, I can't help but think they didn't really try to get me into an endocrinologist. :cry:

You won't have much growth while on pred. And if there has been active disease that created the need for pred then even if the symptoms are gone with pred a deep, stable remission hasn't had time to be reached. Growth and such won't occur until you've been in deep, stable remission for some time, not weeks or even a couple of months.

I'm not sure whI ch country you are from but depending on the area it can take some time to get in to see an Endocrinologist. In the US it's the for getting in to see a rheumatologist, long waits.

I would ask to be put on the cancellation list of the Endocrinologist in hopes of getting in sooner if you think it important to see one. If you're not comfortable with your current treatment plan with your GI maybe you could discuss a second opinion from another GI with your parents.