• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coping with Crohns

So, Hi I'm Shaun I'm new I'm 20

I was always told to use these sites as apparently im in Denial over being diagnosed with crohns and I suppose i guess its somewhat true.

So I was diagnosed 4 years ago and I feel like I haven't been the same person since it almost feels as though I never really left that hospital

I feel so self conscious having this illness even though ive had no operations I just get the occasional pain, the inability to put on weight, and the delayed puberty

This Illness I don't think has affected me physically more mentally I constantly feel like im letting myself down, not trying hard enough, not performing well enough in work and just being a horrible person.

So My question is for all the fellow diagnosed people how do you cope?

Hey Shaun, I'm Jaime I'm 30.. I've had Crohns for around 10 years, diagnosed 8. I work in the medical field as an xray tech and I worked in the field as an EMT for 6 years. I also have a nearly 2 year old son. So I want to encourage you that it is normal to live a normal life. Unfortunately sometimes it takes awhile to get to a good place..

I've found ways to deal with my stress. I do feel like a let down sometimes to my husband and son, but they are great about encouraging me. I've been really sick for around a year now but I do what I can when I can.. I get out of the house, I make sure to spend time with my friends and my family. I also take time for myself, if I'm feeling extra crummy that day I make it known and ask to get a little extra rest that day(doesn't always happen but once in awhile it does)

It's also helped to come on here and see other that suffer like I do. That's helped me to accept it more than anything. I was on a different site when I was first diagnosed and that helped, then just recently came to here.

Hi Shaun
And welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It's a lot to get your head round. Try not to be too hard on yourself - how you are feeling is completely understandable and most of us on here can relate to it.
Like Jaime says, listen to your body and take extra rest and spoil yourself when you are feeling tired or low. Also - and I can see why this might feel difficult given your age - try not to cut yourself off from people. Going out, spending time with family or one or two close friends can be a good distraction and give you a boost.
There are also support groups that you might be interested in. If you check the Crohn's and Colitis UK website, you can check if there's one near you.
Are you on medication at the moment?

Hi shaun, im sorry for what you are going through. I cope by keeping my mind busy like puzzles , yoga etc and i also do therapy. I struggle allot and it affects my everyday life. You have to stay strong and dont be so hard on yourself.