• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed with Crohn's

Hi my name is Dawn. I've just been diagnosed with Crohn's about a week ago. I woke up 1 morning about 3 months ago in severe pain. After many days of missed work & numerous diagnostic testing, I have finally been diagnosed. The last 3 months have been very difficult, especially not knowing what's going on. I've had issues over the years with IBS but it doesn't compare to this.
I'm starting a treatment plan, as soon as insurance approves, with Humira. I do have to say that the pain has been unbearable at times, & not to bad at other times, but the emotional toll this is taking is the worst.
I'm having trouble working & doing any type of social activities. When i do work, I can't concentrate because of the pain. Nothing worse than spending over 1/2 of your day in the restroom or excusing yourself because you can't deal with the pain.
Now depression is setting in because I fell like I'm letting my family down by not being able to contribute like I should. My husband has no idea what to do for me & I don't know what to tell him. It's really putting a strain on out relationship. I feel so lost & alone. So that's why I'm here. I just need support & understanding. Thank you in advance to anyone who an give me some coping advice to get me through this.

Hello Dawn, and Welcome.

I am sorry that you are going through a rough time. Yet, glad you found us.
I am sure you will find this community very supportive, informative, and helpful.

Regarding your situation, you will have to take it one thing at a time those days. My best advice would be to concentrate 100% of your energy in getting better... I believe that after a while, meds will kick in, and once you learn to listen to your body and adapt your diet and lifestyle accordingly, you will feel much better.
Your goal is to achieve remission by stopping the inflammantory process.
Inform youself about Crohns if you have not done so yet. The sub forum here are rich with data about treatments, diets, clinical trials, etc.

The mental side, I know, is not easy either. Your husband as well as your other family will have to realize that every now and then you will get "out of the game" for a while in order to recover and get back on your feet (typical flare up cycle).
Honestly, I think that my familiy never really got it that my disease is not some flu or alergy. Crohns is usually much more serious and has to be treated accordingly. It requires maintanance and adaptations.
I am fortunate, however, that my beautiful SO learned how to deal with my situation and is doing her best by being kind to me.
I wish you that your husband will find the courage to take it as a challenge instead of a difficulty; it can make things less complicated.

Bottom line, you will feel better in weeks to come, you'll see. Be gentle to yourself and don't push it too hard. Make sure you rest enough, and take walks in the fresh air if you feel you are able to.

Feel well dear, and keep us updated.

P.S.: You are welcome to PM me if you'd like.

Welcome. Everyone is here to support you. I don't feel like my wife fully understood at first but now she is fully supportive. Let us know how it is going.

Hi Dawn
So sorry you're going through this, it really is crappy. I'm in a pretty similar situation so even though I may not have so much advise, it's comforting knowing someone else understands you. I've just been diagnosed almost 2 months ago after years of dealing with what was said to be ibs. Now after just being in the hospital the last few days because the pain felt like it was going to kill me, I'm being switched to Humira. Luckily my husband is very understanding and helpful but he too feels like he doesn't know what to do sometimes. He feels bad and I feel bad about that. I hope with medication your situation improves and you can start living your life comfortably again. It's crazy how one day your life can just change on you but we will all get through this. I wish the best for you!

Hi my name is Dawn. I've just been diagnosed with Crohn's about a week ago. I woke up 1 morning about 3 months ago in severe pain. After many days of missed work & numerous diagnostic testing, I have finally been diagnosed. The last 3 months have been very difficult, especially not knowing what's going on. I've had issues over the years with IBS but it doesn't compare to this.
I'm starting a treatment plan, as soon as insurance approves, with Humira. I do have to say that the pain has been unbearable at times, & not to bad at other times, but the emotional toll this is taking is the worst.
I'm having trouble working & doing any type of social activities. When i do work, I can't concentrate because of the pain. Nothing worse than spending over 1/2 of your day in the restroom or excusing yourself because you can't deal with the pain.
Now depression is setting in because I fell like I'm letting my family down by not being able to contribute like I should. My husband has no idea what to do for me & I don't know what to tell him. It's really putting a strain on out relationship. I feel so lost & alone. So that's why I'm here. I just need support & understanding. Thank you in advance to anyone who an give me some coping advice to get me through this.

I'm so sorry you ended up in the hospital. There were a few times I felt like going too. I'm sure everything will eventually be ok I just need to make it there. My husband will hopefully be able to understand what I'm going thru soon. I'm sharing some of these posts with him so he can see other people have the same issues. Maybe give him some insight? Thank you for your response & hope you get to feeling better soon.