• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What would you have told yourself prior to dx?

The clue's in the title! What life lessons have you learnt because of your Crohns that would have helped you before your diagnosis.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that i've learnt to rely on my instincts when it comes to my health and to talk to people about how i'm feeling.

Hopefully we can all learn from each others experiences and see if they apply to our lives.

fuzzy butterfly

I learnt that my health has to come 1st. Also that i shouldnt take no for an answer when i need help concerning my health. That stress is not my friend. I dont let things get me stressed out now. For each problem that occurs i now think ...right ok its not going to kill me so its not that bad,il sort it out somehow.
Keep smiling and keep on trucking, lifes to short as it is,make the most of it when you can and take it easy when your not well,listen to your body.
Best wishes to all 💕

Not everything is my crohns, sometimes it's just a stomach bug.. Would have saved me from going on prednisone so much. Also eat healthier.. Don't get stuck in my old eating habits

If you feel too ill to go to work, you probably are. Just because you aren't throwing up constantly or stuck on the toilet doesn't mean you are not ill. Your illness is just as valid. I pushed myself to go to work when I really shouldn't have and ended up in hospital. Now I know that sometimes I need to take a sick day even if it feels like people might think I am faking, I have a real illness.

If you feel too ill to go to work, you probably are. Just because you aren't throwing up constantly or stuck on the toilet doesn't mean you are not ill. Your illness is just as valid. I pushed myself to go to work when I really shouldn't have and ended up in hospital. Now I know that sometimes I need to take a sick day even if it feels like people might think I am faking, I have a real illness.
I had a bad abscess and shoiuldnt have pushed myself to go to work during that time.

I've learned you have to be your own advocate for your health. If you don't like the answer or its not clear enough make sure you get clarity before you leave or ask about other options. If the doctor tries to cram you into his "20 minute apt" don't be afraid to make it 40 minutes if you need to.

I was Dx about 26 years ago and I am still learning so much about myself.

The most important is respecting the disease and listen to what my body is telling me. My tests results don't always give the Drs a real reflection of whats happening inside. So its ok
to be persistent. when I wasn't, my CD spread to more areas. When I got a bit pushy with my Dr, he ordered a CT scan. Got a call the next day, he said he didn't really expect to see what he saw. Now I am on Remicade. We are the best advocate we have!

Lauren

I was Dx about 26 years ago and I am still learning so much about myself.

The most important is respecting the disease and listen to what my body is telling me. My tests results don't always give the Drs a real reflection of whats happening inside. So its ok
to be persistent. when I wasn't, my CD spread to more areas. When I got a bit pushy with my Dr, he ordered a CT scan. Got a call the next day, he said he didn't really expect to see what he saw. Now I am on Remicade. We are the best advocate we have!

Lauren
Agree

That it's okay to give less than 100 percent when you aren't feeling well. My first semester of college after I got sick I missed 1 day (scope when I was diagnosed) and that was it. I also had a 3.7 GPA. It was great but I killed myself to get it and it really wasn't worth it looking back.

Same with work. I used to feel so guilty because before al this I was super employee, always coming in early, offering to stay late, coming in on days off, being super productive. And now I can't. Again it sucks but it's okay to give 70 percent to conserve that 30 percent for your health.

fuzzy butterfly

So very true frozengirl.. you sound just like i was and now am. Health has got to come first now....
Best wishes keep as well as you can hun 💕

That it's okay to give less than 100 percent when you aren't feeling well. My first semester of college after I got sick I missed 1 day (scope when I was diagnosed) and that was it. I also had a 3.7 GPA. It was great but I killed myself to get it and it really wasn't worth it looking back.

Same with work. I used to feel so guilty because before al this I was super employee, always coming in early, offering to stay late, coming in on days off, being super productive. And now I can't. Again it sucks but it's okay to give 70 percent to conserve that 30 percent for your health.
I totally relate to this! I would push myself so far before. Going into work when I was on the verge of being hospitalized because "I had too much work that needed to get done." No job is worth my health. Oh...and let it go! The stress I use to hang onto was ridiculous! Some days I can put in 110% and some days I can't...and that is ok. Anyone who doesn't understand by now probably never will. My health and my family are more important now than ever before.