• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Me Vs. my Older Brother

My older brother by 3 years and I are we're both diagnosed with Crohn's disease around the same age. Neither of us had to deal with any severe flares other than some mild occurrences after a change of medications. He displayed normal development through puberty and had underarm, chest hair, beard, and broadened shoulders resembling an adult by the age 16-17. I, on the other hand, am currently 19 years old and have none of those signs other than a little pubic hair and thin patches of hair on my chin. I have also had mild gynocamastia since i was a child and never "leaned out" like he did. He was mostly on 6MP for medication as well as Entecourt, while I was put on methotrexate therapy. We are now both taking Humira injections and they have been working fantastic.
My two questions are:
1. Is it likely that I will develop normal adult characteristics (shoulder and body hair growth) if any hormonal issues are fixed even at age 19?
2. Is it possible that the methotrexate could have attributed to my growth stunt and gynocamastia and lack of genital development?

Any answers would be extremely helpful, thanks!

We have a section in here called Treatment. There is a subsection called methotrexate. There are probably people over there who can answer your second question. Best to you.

Schedule an appointment with an Endocrinologist and discuss your concerns with them. They will need to draw up the required labs to assess your various hormonal and growth factor levels. Without the lab data you can't really say what's going on.