• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhea after eating out.

So I tried eating out today, ate chicken, and one medium peice of lettuce and thats it really and some strawberry cucumber juice. I'm on imuran and Entocort, as well as omeprazole for gerd. And as suggested by GI to be on a low residue diet.

At first it was pretty soft, than it was pure liquid. First time I ate out in a while and I had diarrhea, could it be the fiber? Could it be that my stomach just doesn't accept food from restaurants any more? Could it be some interaction with the meds ? I've ate at this restaurant numerous times before diagnosis and this never happened. Any insight on this would be great. Was diagnosed a while ago ( 2- 3 months), at 19. Never had diarrhea as a symtpom for Crohn's, it was just weight loss and the inflammation as signs curious as to why this happened. I experienced no pain during this diarrhea.
Is this important to take to my GI right now? or wait till next month till my next appointment. I don't want to make a fuss over something small.
Thanks.

It seems that most fast foods upset my Crohn's disease. If the diarrhes gets really bad, call your doctor before your appointment.

Last edited:
It seems that most fast foods upset my Crohn's disease. If it gets really bad, call your doctor before your appointment.

Thanks, though this wasn't fast food which is my confusion. This is a rather nice restaraunt, and my family and I often eat here. So I assume it is of higher quality compared to fast food type foods. Although I was wondering from your expierence ron, can the littlest amt of fiber trigger you? As i'm not sure if it was the whole entree including the chicken, or the little medium piece of lettuce which triggered this.

The juice and the lettuce both would have done me in.

Ah I assumed I'd test out how I'm feeling with fiber as it was only one piece of lettuce, and thought the juice would be fine. Are those just known trigger foods for you even when in remission? I believe I'm not officially in remission yet, since still on steroids.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Did the chicken have breading or any seasoning or condiments on it? Sometimes the littlest things can be triggers. It took me a bit to figure out that garlic is a trigger food for me. Certain seasonings (like taco seasoning) can sometimes also do me in. And anything that's breaded & fried, or anything that's high in fat content or grease like that, can also affect me very negatively. So it could have been any number of things.

Did the chicken have breading or any seasoning or condiments on it? Sometimes the littlest things can be triggers. It took me a bit to figure out that garlic is a trigger food for me. Certain seasonings (like taco seasoning) can sometimes also do me in. And anything that's breaded & fried, or anything that's high in fat content or grease like that, can also affect me very negatively. So it could have been any number of things.
Thats true, I guess I'll have to experiment which one was the trigger. As there was a real greasy sauce for the chicken. But, my question is does the disease progress this fast? I was able to eat this before diagnosis last yr or so , or could it be be now with the meds my body reacts differently. I'm 19 so often wondering what I should expect in progression, and why do some food trigger me now that never did years before.

What bothers me today may well be a safe food tomorrow. It's hit and miss. One thing I'm sure that I cannot ever eat again is anything that contains soy of any kind. On the other hand, I can eat popcorn like there's no tomorrow.

It's very individualized, and can change in a nanosecond.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yep, I agree with what Salad_Shooter said. I was able to eat blackberries just fine up until recently, and now they go right through me undigested. Sort of the opposite for me with bacon/turkey bacon. I couldn't have any type of bacon at all the first year I was ill. Then after a year I tried turkey bacon again, and it was fine. I can even do regular bacon now without issue, even with the grease and fat content. The illness isn't necessarily progressing, it's just that trigger foods aren't written in stone for any of us. Generally speaking, what triggers you now will likely continue to be a trigger in the future, but not necessarily. It's a state of constant flux really.

You have to look at everything on your plate. What is in that sauce? What spices? Cream? Perhaps additives in that cream(this is what triggers me). What are the ingredients in that strawberry/cucumber juice? Is it fresh squeezed(doubtful) or is it processed with emulsifying agents and thickners(I know I have trouble digesting these). Unless it is only 1 ingredient you have to try to separate them all and see how they affect you. Even deli chicken and turkey have additives to them(MSG, carageenan). If I eat out I get plain chicken and a baked potato(plain). I use salt and pepper as spice. I go so far as to bring my own salt with me since many table salts have extra additives in them.