• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Zinc

My husband has been diagnosed with zinc deficiency and so for 2 months has been having Blackmores bio zinc-

(2xday) and his zinc levels haven't budged. So I have been reading online
about a study that was done on crohns patients using 110mg of oral zinc sulphate 3 times daily for 8 weeks and it put all but one of them in remission.

My daughter had a zinc deficiency. She is small so supplemented 10 MG per day. Upping her meds to put her closer to remission helped along with supplements. She no longer needs it at this time.

Thanks instant coffee, I have just ordered some zinc sulphate online and first we'll see how that goes, if not will try your suggestions. By the way, do you find coffee sometimes the only thing to give you energy and keep you going?

Thanks instant coffee, I have just ordered some zinc sulphate online and first we'll see how that goes, if not will try your suggestions. By the way, do you find coffee sometimes the only thing to give you energy and keep you going?
No. I do fairly well without coffee, I just really like the taste. I also have done poorly regardless of how much I drank.

I think if you need coffee to get energy you probably have depleted adrenals. I'm not really well enough versed on ways to fix that though to even begin making recommendations but look into vitamin and mineral deficiencies, a supplement called 'adrenal cortex' and 'amino acid' therapy using tyrosine and 5-htp.

I've used zinc picolinate in the past, about 25mg per day. If you want to increase the potency of zinc saturating your tissue, you'd probably want to minimize grains/nuts/seeds, those with high phytic acid that bind to minerals in the body. They're essentially mineral depleters. Instead, I focus my appetite on cooked vegetables as the main part of my meal, say a plate full of cooked rutabagas with some organic cottage cheese/ yogurt over it.