• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed. Howdy

My name is Dan and I'm 51 yo.:bigwave:

Last summer I started having a very upset stomach daily, and also had multiple BMs with loose stool or diarrhea. I just started eating antacids and cut out acidic foods.:confused2:

Then I developed what I thought was a hemmorhoid. Tried creams and suppositories, but it just got worse and worse.:stinks:

Finally went to see my PCP, but he couldn't tell what it was and just gave me a pain med prescription and a referral to a GI. But in a couple days the pain was so bad that I ended up going to the ER.:eek2:

Colon-rectal surgeon came in and drained the abscess (ZOMG the pain! Then the relief!):dance:

Ended up missing 5 weeks of work because everything besides sitting on the couch or laying down hurt like hell.:yrolleyes:

Then the abscess didn't heal and turned into a fistula. The colon-rectal surgeon did a colonoscopy and diagnosed me with Crohn's.:ymad:

Fistula didn't heal though so I had a fistulotomy in January.

And now the fistula isn't healing so the colon-rectal surgeon said that only a biologic would heal it.:eek:

I'm very hesitant thought to get started on a biologic since it's a life-time commitment and of course the risks involved. So I've asked for more time to do some research and see if eating an anti-inflammatory diet could help. But so far it isn't.:yfrown:

I've made an appt. with a GI to get a second opinion in a couple of weeks, and just hoping the bum bum doesn't get any worse!

:ptiara: This smiley is irrelevant to my story, I just thought it looked cute.

Welcome. I hope you can get on the right mixture of medicines to put you in remission. There are lots of people on biologics here. Please let us know how you are doing.

scottsma

Hi and welcome to the forum.You've come to the right place for advice and support, and your post will be of interest to many newbies, and also folk in a similar position.
I think you may have to try biologics soon to get things under control.There is nothing wrong in trying a different route by healthy eating/lifestyle,but it probably won't clear inflammation etc. Oh.if only it were that simple.Keep us updated and please feel better soon.

Hi Dan, and welcome! Nice use of the smiles :)

As others have mentioned, it's great that you have found your way here and are being proactive about taking charge of your health.

You mentioned you're going to the GI to get a second opinion, so figured it might be useful to pass these lists of questions to ask along from the CCFA:

http://www.ccfa.org/resources/drs-orders-10-questions-to-ask-on-your-next-visit.html

http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/crohns-questions-to-ask.html

Hope these help and keep us posted.

Thanks for the comments and info.

I have an appointment with a GI in June but unfortunately my rectum has been quite sore the past few days so I'm seeing the colon-rectal surgeon (actually a PA) later today to see what's up with it. I really don't want to develop another abscess while waiting to see the GI for a consultation! :yfrown:

Saw the CRS asst. yesterday (the ass asst.) :rof: (okay, it wasn't quite that funny) and she gave me an exam and said nothing to be concerned about right now, nothing else has developed and the fistula seems to be healing a bit, although, as many here are well aware of, very slowwwwwwwwwwwly.

So will give it a bit more time, consult with the GI, and determine a course of treatment.

Dan

SCD - the Specific Carbohydrate Diet helps relieve symptoms for many people. You can read about it in the book called, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. I've been eating this way for years and it has rally helped me.

I've read a bit about the SCD. I follow a whole food, plant based diet.

I eat vegan for both ethical and health reasons. The main WOE I follow is the one advocated by Dr. John McDougall which besides being WFPB, is low fat (no oils) and high carb.

I've had success on this in the past controlling arthritis in my thumb joints, but of course got complacent and went back to eating lots of high-fat fried foods. I also had given up gluten as I saw results after eliminating it from my diet, but went back to eating that too.:ybatty:

My theory is that my relapse into eating unhealthy and foods which I knew caused me issues is what caused the Crohn's to rear it's ugly head. Of course this is just my theory.:ycool:

SCD is a diet that was specifically designed to help people with digestive disorders (like UC and Crohn's). It is not a fad diet. It has been around for over 40 years. The key is to remain strict to the diet. "danmc" I recommend you read 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' to learn the science behind the diet and how it works by starving out the bad bacteria in your gut.