• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here!

Hi everyone!
I'm Sami and I'm 22 years old. I was diagnosed my freshman year of college.
I had lost about 30 pounds, (probably needed) and was having stomach problems.
My physician tried to blame my stomach aches on my allergies... :yrolleyes:
I finally saw a GI and after a lot of tests got the diagnoses of Crohn's Disease. Only one in my family to have it.

Its been a struggle trying to find the medicine that will work for me. One doctor had my on prednisone for about a year...
I gained 40 pounds, and was seriously going crazy. I eventually stopped taking it once he tapered me down enough (even though he didn't okay stopping). I then stopped all meds, stupidly.

I blame being immature and not really understanding the disease itself. I was in remission for about a year (including the time I was on pred.) and in about September my symptoms came back.

I'm currently on lialda, omeprazole, and azathioprine. Doesn't really seem to be working for me.

Saw the doctor today, he told me he thinks I not only have Crohns but IBS. He also said I have high levels of histoplasmosis.

They have discussed putting me on humira in the past. Currently with my levels of histoplasmosis that isn't an option.
I was worried before about going on it though, because I have heard the shots are extremely painful, and also the increase risk of cancer.

Just thought I would share my store, being that I'm new.

I graduate this Saturday from College, and will be moving back home to St. Charles.

I'm excited to have this community to go to when I need it! :ghug:

Hope you all are doing well!
Sami

Welcome. Congratulations on graduating from college. I am sorry you have this disease. I am currently on Humira and the sting only lasts for a brief time. Personally, it is less painful if I do it on my left side. Feel free to come here anytime.

Scipio

Ask your doctor about the possibility of trying Entyvio. It's a biologic like Humira but is not an anti-TNF. Humira and most of the other biologics are anti-TNFs. The anti-TNFs all carry "black box" (i.e. serious) warnings about histoplasmosis and also about increased cancer risk. Entyvio was not required to include such warnings. It has no black box warnings at all. That doesn't mean the risks with it are zero, just that the big problems have not been observed so far.

So at this stage it looks like a possible option. Entyvio can be used for both induction or maintenance of remission.

...and welcome to the forum.