Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine and alcohol

05-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Azathioprine and alcohol

Hello, I started azathioprine on the 6th April 2016, I took 25mg for one week and have since been on 50mg. I have a hen party coming up at the end of May and I am wondering how much alcohol I can consume? I am worried my friends are going to want to do lots of shots and they don't know about my diagnosis or medication.
Thanks
05-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
I don't know the exact amount of alcohol that's tolerable except to say "not very much." As you probably have been told, combining alcohol and aza can damage your liver.

But you don't have to tell your friends anything about your medicine or diagnosis. Just say you are taking it easy on the drinking for health reasons - that drinking very much at all doesn't agree with you, or some other vague thing.
05-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
MmeMagpie

Volunteer to be the designated driver?
05-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
That's a very low dose. I'm on 150mg, and I doubt I'm 6 times your weight.

To be honest on 3 of the 8 days I've been on Aza I'd had some alcohol before taking them, and nothing bad has happened. The leaflet I have only says of alcohol that it may make any nausea worse, so really it's a question of whether you have side effects. If you do you probably won't feel like drinking.
05-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Thanks for your replies, I can't be the "driver" as no driving is required, we are all staying away from home in an apartment.

I weigh 49kg and I'm 5foot5. I'm underweight and struggle to put any weight on. My GI says when I put weight on I will go up to 75mg but I won't go any higher than that. I currently have no side effects from the medication and still have Crohn's symptoms so I don't think it has kicked in yet. I hope it will kick in at some point!
05-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
MmeMagpie

If you must drink, the next best thing I can think of is opting for something that is best when daintily sipped and savored over a long period of time. Like a very nice, old scotch

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine and alcohol