• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low residue recipes!

Had to reduce residue one more time recently as stoma is increasingly sensitive and shrinking to 1/2 inch opening with stenosis.
I love the fragrant Thai white rice, it cooks in 12 minutes, keeps for a week, and can be used whenever. Another dish is boiled eggs with regular pasta, add paprika and chives for color and flavor.
Mashed squash and potatoes in small quantities work for me. The soft proteins like fish, chicken, turkey, veal, work well too. I avoid all grains, and beans, even cooked vegetables such as peas and carrots are not digested enough.
Milk, bit of cheese, ice cream, are ok.

Madame Magpie's Recipe Box

Been going through my old recipes to find things that might translate well. I'll post things as I successfully make food that's easy (because I'm one lazy, yet unusually messy cook) and tasty. And when I say tasty, I mean that I would eat it under any circumstance, not just because it's what I'm limited to.

Have I mentioned I'm an Epicurian of the foodie variety?

Last edited:
Thyme Hash Browns with Apple Sauce (low residue, dairy and gluten free)

1 peeled and grated potato
1 tsp dried thyme (fresh is tastier)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

I didn't bother to rinse or dry my grated potato. I was hungry. Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of an 8" non-stick omelette pan to med-high. Crush dried thyme into potato, add dash of salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Place mixture in pan, spread it out to take up the whole pan, cook on med-high for two minutes, reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Flip entire potato thing and cook for 7 more minutes.

Transfer to plate, smear applesauce all over it, and fold in half. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Enjoy!

If dairy is tolerated, put some sour cream on it, too. Stupid good.

The original recipe was for small potato pancakes and called for flour, onions, a bunch of other complicated stuff, and for them to be fried in a 1/4" inch of oil. That wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I make a variation on this by adding in grated courgette and an egg and then frying them, yum! I do leave out the thyme but I may give that a go next time. When I'm doing well I also add some cubed hard goats cheese, that makes it a meal in itself, delish.