• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Grooming - or lack of it

I realized that I no longer wear make up or do my hair. I haven't bought any new clothes in ages either. Not that I look like a dog, but I haven't been putting any effort into looking good. I wonder if this is like a depression. Not really caring. I know that doesn't sound terribly important, but it kind of reflects how I'm feeling right now.

It sure can be. I hope you are able to find someome to help you out on it though.

I started with my family Dr. and thats all I have needed. Get ahead of it though, its easier than waiting the amount of time I did.

Lauren

I do this too. It's odd. for me, I feel like I put so much into maintaining other things that my appearance becomes unimportant. Lately I've found it empowering to dress cute and do my hair and or makeup, even when i know I won't be leaving the house. It's been a great help. Some days I do it just to feel like a human...even if I just pull on comfy pants in mere hours after strapping myself into skinny jeans.

Ever since I have been dealing with this current flare, running on 6yrs now, I really hate to shower. I can sometimes go a week without showering. I have not bought new clothes in at least 5 years or longer. The amount of fatigue definitely contributes to how I have been feeling, and I have not had a reason to get myself cleaned up. I pretty much spend most of my days in bed, and if I have to work I can put some gel in my hair and clean up. Before I knew I had crohn's, I would tell my lady how tired I would get, and how I did not have the energy to even want to shower, plus something about showering just made me feel worse, like having the chills or w/e, but she would always tell me that I still smelled great. She was amazed how good I could still smell, anyway, made me feel not so bad about skipping showers.
I def think depression could have something to do with it, but it could also have to do with just being fatigued, or a wonderful combination of both.
Hope you are able to get a hold of it, whatever it is....

I'm not having any other symptoms of depression. I don't really have fatigue, more a lack of stamina. I will run out of energy if I exert myself too much. If I feel chilled, I'd rather have a long hot bath than a shower, so that's not a problem. I've been trying to put a little more effort into it. Maybe I need to pamper myself more.

Ya, i wasnt saying fatigue was a symptom of depression. And by the way, i think running out of stamina is somewhat another way to describe fatigue.
But for me, just overall being fatigued all the time, not being able to eat food without having my stomach ridicule me for it, just all the fun stuff that has come with this disease as well as all the life events that brought on my initial flare, all of them contribute to depression that I feel I have been experiencing, but not dealing with. Def feel isolated and although my friends are all confident that the doctors will figure it out, but I on the other hand am not too confident that my crohn's will ever be under control.

I can relate. My flares finally ended once I got on Remicade/Imuran. I just had a mini flare because I had to postpone an infusion because of an infection. So now I know how dependent I'm on my meds. If they stop working, I'm back to square one. Hopefully you will find a combo that will work for you. A food diary can also help to pinpoint problem foods. If I lead a more sedentary lifestyle, I don't have fatigue. But it's just hard for me to do. I'm going to plant my garden bit by bit, it will get done eventually.