• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Didn't receive diagnosis 6 years ago, maybe this time...

Hello all, it's been 6 years since I've visited this forum. I apologize for my absence, but the Gastro told me that I didn't have Crohn's at the time (2010-2011).

Quick history. I've struggled with vague symptoms over the years (10-15, maybe longer) that have lead me to various doctors without a diagnosis. The symptoms were primarily fatigue, bloating, joint pain, constipation, and a little diarrhea. In 2010, a CT scan revealed possible inflammatory bowel disease in the ileum. Several additional tests were performed (colonoscopy, camera pill, etc). Some mild inflammation and a small ulcer were found at the time, but the biopsies were negative.

So, I’ve done the best I can over the years as I’ve slowly declined in health without knowing the true cause of my issues until 4 weeks ago. The wife was out of town on a beach trip with the other ladies from the Sunday school class. The annual festival for our town was that weekend, so I took the kids because they were dying to go. I wasn’t feeling great, but the fatigue and joint pain had reached a new level. I could barely walk two blocks. My feet hurt worst of all. My right side (just below my rib cage) was sore as well.

I decided to go to my internist the following Monday. She pushed on my stomach in a few places, and found a very tender spot. I almost jumped off the exam table. She immediately sent me for a CT scan to check on the appendix. However, the CT scan showed something different. There was wall thickening in the Sigmoid Colon. This was a different location from the previous scan in 2010, which revealed wall thickening in the Ileum.

I forwarded the results to my gastro and they scheduled an appointment the next day. After seeing the Physician Assistant, she scheduled a colonoscopy for May 18 (two days from now), and she ordered some lab work from Prometheus labs that came back positive for Crohn’s. Evidently, this is a relatively new test that came out around the 2010/2011 timeframe, so it wasn’t used by my gastro back then.

Anyway, I’m guessing they’ll still want to see it on a scope. The only treatment that I have received was an anti-biotic in case the inflammation was caused by bacteria, which has been ineffective since my symptoms have gotten worse. Other than that, I’ve only taken Tylenol.

I’m not afraid of having Crohn’s at all. I’m afraid of having Crohn’s and not receiving a diagnosis, which is where I have been for years now…

One other note, my mom has Crohn’s, and she wasn’t diagnosed until she was 55 after two feet of her small intestine was removed.

I’ll let you guys know how things to with the colonoscopy on Wed. I’m just hoping to finally get treatment.

Just got out of the colonoscopy, and he didn't see the inflammation that he wanted. So, I'm undiagnosed again.

Should I seek a 2nd opinion? I have multiple pieces of evidence that suggest crohn's, yet the gastro is only relying on the scope. Is this normal?

Below are the positive tests, and family history

-positive Prometheus lab test for crohn's

-CT scan on 2010 and 2016 that show wall thickening. 2010 test specifically mentioned Inflammatory Bowel Disease

-mother has crohn's, diagnosed late in life (55) after having 2 feet of her small intestine removed. I'm 45.

-seronegaive joint pain. Especially in the feet and sacram. arthritis panels never come back positive. Sciatic nerve is so inflamed I have trouble sitting abd standing.

His diagnosis is IBS.

I am sorry. Last year they tried to say I had both Crohns and ibs. After they tested me a second time, after I kept stating the symptoms. Best to you.

Hi Jimmy,
I liked what you said - that you are not afraid to have crohn's but afraid to have it and not know. I definitely would get a second opinion and third if needed. My thought process is, with all the variability in Dr.'s diagnosis - keep asking until YOU feel peace of mind what what they say.