• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help me figure out what's wrong

Hi all,

For the past year almost, I've been dealing with pretty bad problems. Until last July, I was a relatively healthy person; I'm only 23, so there's no reason I shouldn't be healthy. I exercise semi-regularly, I eat decently, and I've never been diagnosed with anything serious.

In July, however, I began to have trouble peeing. I would wake several times a night needing to pee; after peeing, I would still feel the need to pee. Sometimes I couldn't fall asleep for hours. What's more, I often couldn't poop either; I had the feeling these things might be related. Since before this problem began, I'd started noticing that my stomach would make weird noises a lot more than it usually did (this began perhaps two years ago).

As the year has gone on, I've tried to ignore these symptoms but it's at the point where my life, quite frankly, sucks. I've been to a gastroenterologist many months ago who failed to diagnose anything, and a urologist more recently who was also stumped. But I remain convinced something is wrong just because I'm in so much discomfort and pain quite frequently.

So, to give a brief rundown of my symptoms:
-Difficulty pooping. I poop perhaps once every 2-3 days, and never feel that I've fully voided myself.
-Difficulty peeing. I always have to sit down to pee now (this isn't normal for a male!). When I pee, I strain; it feels almost as if I'm trying to poop - but can't.
-Frequent burping. When I move around, stretch, get out of bed in the morning, I burp - a lot.

A bit more about me, in case it's relevant:
-I'm of Jewish ancestry. I've heard that's relevant in diagnosing Crohn's disease.
-As a sport, I used to do a lot of balancing/ tight-rope walking. I was worried that this was causing me to clench my abdomen excessively and thus negatively effected by bowel movements (and I started doing it at the same time these problems began); however, I know lots of other people who also do this sport and who have no such symptoms. Either way I've stopped doing the sport because I generally don't have enough energy.
-Could I be gluten intolerant? I'd never had that issue before.

Please, someone, give me some advice! I'm on the verge of despair here. I think I will go to the hospital tomorrow and miss work, but I'm hoping you all might be able to give me some ideas and some more information before I get going.

What type of tests did the gastroenterologist do? Colonoscopy? Endoscopy? MRE? CT? Did they draw bloodwork? What was your CRP level? Tightening abdominal muscles for balance would not cause this. Food sensitivities can pop up at anytime. It might be worth it to cut out gluten for a while and see how it affects you. You can also try a food diary to see if anything is further causing issues. Keep on the doctors. Don't let them just brush you off. Go get second and third opinions if necessary.

What type of tests did the gastroenterologist do? Colonoscopy? Endoscopy? MRE? CT? Did they draw bloodwork? What was your CRP level? Tightening abdominal muscles for balance would not cause this. Food sensitivities can pop up at anytime. It might be worth it to cut out gluten for a while and see how it affects you. You can also try a food diary to see if anything is further causing issues. Keep on the doctors. Don't let them just brush you off. Go get second and third opinions if necessary.
Thanks for the response.

Just a colonoscopy. I will try to request the other ones. One problem right now is I live in Germany but speak no German (I'm American) which seems to make doctors take me a little less seriously. But I will obviously try my best. The advantage of living here is that healthcare is basically free, so I can keep going to the doctors if necessary.

I've been cutting out gluten for the most part and I haven't noticed much change, but I have noticed certain food, like white pasta, make me feel really bad.

A colonoscopy won't tell your if you have inflammation in your small intestines-which could be causing further inflammation to your bladder or ureter. Did the urologist test for interstitial cystitis? Many things can cause this but it is also correlated with Crohn's(33% higher chance of having Crohn's if you have IC). How does fiber affect you? Would that help regulate your BM's? If you aren't taking fiber now I would start slowly. Some Crohn's patients find psyllium fiber helpful.

A colonoscopy won't tell your if you have inflammation in your small intestines-which could be causing further inflammation to your bladder or ureter. Did the urologist test for interstitial cystitis? Many things can cause this but it is also correlated with Crohn's(33% higher chance of having Crohn's if you have IC). How does fiber affect you? Would that help regulate your BM's? If you aren't taking fiber now I would start slowly. Some Crohn's patients find psyllium fiber helpful.
I'm not 100% sure what the urologist tested for. He stuck a tube up my urethra and declared it free of obstruction - that's it, though.

Fiber is OK. I eat lots of oatmeal. But it doesn't really stimulate my bowel movements.

I agree

You had a colonoscopy - do you remember if they had difficulty putting the scope in or not? If you are having difficulty in voiding and don't feel completely voided that can be a symptom of inflammation in the rectum. Ordinary constipation can cause these symptoms as well, so it isn't necessary to jump to crohn's. When you urinate is there a significant flow? There is a possibility of a prostrate issue as well and I can't see how a bowel issue would cause that. Significant inflammation of the prostate can actually impair bowel movements. If the movements are slowed down it could cause the burping.

I guess this just shows that there are more possibilities than just crohn's. That one is possible, but it isn't exclusive based on what you have described so far. You may need to search for a better doctor first. Maybe contact your consulate and see if they have a list of any doctors in your area that they could refer you to?

I wonder if you have pelvic floor dysfunction. I know some women and men can have it where there pelvic floor muscles are so tight that they cannot relax enough and have issues with urinating and defecating.

What did the urologist say? Did he offer any tests to see what might be going on or any help?

I would probably look into maybe getting a second opinion from a different urologist. If you do have pelvic floor issues, you would need to see a Physical Therapist who deals with pelvic floor dysfunction. They can help with doing certain kinds of physical therapy to help loosen and relax the muscles down there.

You had a colonoscopy - do you remember if they had difficulty putting the scope in or not? If you are having difficulty in voiding and don't feel completely voided that can be a symptom of inflammation in the rectum. Ordinary constipation can cause these symptoms as well, so it isn't necessary to jump to crohn's. When you urinate is there a significant flow? There is a possibility of a prostrate issue as well and I can't see how a bowel issue would cause that. Significant inflammation of the prostate can actually impair bowel movements. If the movements are slowed down it could cause the burping.

I guess this just shows that there are more possibilities than just crohn's. That one is possible, but it isn't exclusive based on what you have described so far. You may need to search for a better doctor first. Maybe contact your consulate and see if they have a list of any doctors in your area that they could refer you to?
Good points. I went to the Berlin hospital yesterday and finally got some pretty good service from a gastroenterologist. Unfortunately, this being a public system, I now have 3 more tests scheduled over the next two months, so I now need to wait about a month for the next test. They drew blood yesterday; they will now do another colonoscopy, an MRI, and then a "reverse colonscopy" - I'm not sure of the technical term - where they stick something down my throat. I'll know the full results in a little over two months.

I have an appointment with my urologist for tomorrow. I do not have significant flow when urinating.

The urologist, I am remembering now, did an MRI a few months back and found no prostate issues. That's how you test for prostate issues, right?

I'll look into Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. I just have trouble seeing why it would be a physical issue (tight muscles) because I can't imagine many 23 year-olds suffer from that!

Pelvic floor dysfunction can effect anyone at any age. I know some who have it at younger ages. I have a bladder disease ( Interstitial Cystitis) and have researched lots on the disease. Along the way I learned a lot about Pelvic Floor issues. People who strain to use the toilet ( especially over a period of time) can develop PFD ( pelvic Floor Dysfunction). It can mess up the muscles and prevent them from relaxing, at least that is what I was told by a physical Therapist.

Not sure if that is your case, but if it is adding to it, a physical therapist who deals with PFD would be able to help. It may not be your issue, but it is just a thought.

I'll look into Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. I just have trouble seeing why it would be a physical issue (tight muscles) because I can't imagine many 23 year-olds suffer from that![/QUOTE]

It is called endoscopy when the camera goes down the throat. Sounds like they have an appropriate range of tests going for you. Please don't hesitate to go to an emergency room if either system stops altogether. A stoppage in urine can cause kidney issues, a stoppage in stools could indicate obstruction. Both need to be addressed. Take care.