• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileo cecal valve removal. How are you doing?

Hello! I am a 63 yo female with Crohn's Disease, diagnosed approx. 10 years ago, but feel I may have had since my 20s Was recently hospitalized x 6 days for a blockage. Now scheduled for surgery June 8th. Surgeon says he will remove approx 18 inches including the ileo cecal valve. Am extremely stressed over this as the valve has a major role in digestion, among many other things. Would love to hear from someone who has had the valve removed as part of their surgery and how they are doing. Diarrhea seems to be the complaint of most. So afraid I may feel worse after surgery. Maybe I am saying that because I feel pretty good right now. Can anyone help shed some light on this. Would love to hear some positives!! Thank you

My son had an ileocecectomy. His most severe area was located at his IC valve. There was concern due to narrowing and possibility of perforation so we opted for the surgery.

C didn't have diarrhea before surgery nor did he experience it after. I think he had a couple days right after leaving the hospital that he had 1 or 2 loose stools but beyond that his schedule differed only slightly from before surgery. Before surgery 1 bm per day or every other day, after surgery 2 bms a day.

Trysha

Staff member
I had a right hemicolectomy and this included the ileocecal valve.
What remained was joined up to the small colon and transverse colon....best of all no bags...
I made a good recovery but it did take time as most of these things do to really get better.
about 6 -8 months.
Good wishes for your successful surgery
Trysha