• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"Just eat." (Vent)

This is my mom's solution to all my health problems. Pain in the gut? Eat more. Feeling tired? Eat more. Throwing up everything you eat? Eat more.

The worst part is that while I'm eating, she'll make all kinds of comments like "You haven't even touched your food!" or "When you die they're going to blame you, because you didn't eat."

It's kinda hard to eat when everything causes pain or vomiting. The comments don't help.

Unfortunately this is far too common a mindset with people who don't have IBD. My Aunt and cousin think all I need to do is eat more bread and I'll gain weight. Never mind I was eating 2,500-3,000 calories of other food and not gaining. The miracle bread would have done it.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs
We get that all the time for ds
His GIs placed him on EEN ( elemental formula only )
So we REALLY get the if you "just feed him FOOD"
He would be fine

I always ask where they got their medical degree and if they wish to speak to his doctor since they think they know more

In general people can be so very insensitive at times...
But remember, this is your mum, and mothers...well...they love
us through food. Try to be forgiving in that case.

All the best to you

before I was diagnosed, my parents were like that too. But it helped to have my mom come with me to the doctor so the doctor could explain what was going on and how eating sometimes causes more problems...for whatever reason, people believe doctors more than they believe family members sometimes.

Thank you all for your support. It's good to know other people go know what it's like. (Not that I want anyone else to have to go through this... you know what I mean)

In general people can be so very insensitive at times...
But remember, this is your mum, and mothers...well...they love
us through food. Try to be forgiving in that case.

All the best to you
This is true. She told me she's afraid that I'll die of this... I guess we're both angry and frustrated at this disease.

I just want to eat normal meals without puking everything up in the middle of the night. I'm starving.

Me: I want to die.

Mom: Are you talking about suicide?

Me: yes.

Mom: Eat more, your blood sugar is low.

It amazes me how people can genuinely love you and still do all the things that will hurt you.