• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Desperate to eat

Hello. I am newly diagnosed with crohns and still very uneducated and scared/emotional. So please bear with me. After months of issues and finally going to the doctor and after test blah blah I have crohns in my ileum and ascending colon. Doctor put me on Apriso .375 4 pills 1x day. So for the past 3 months I've been pretty good. I don't generally eat bad at all. Meaning barely any fast food. Not a lot of soda or alcohol. Low read meat intake. And generally feel good stomach wise.

But Monday I think I started my first flare. Literally with the bite of food instant nausea and gas that turned into terrible diarrhea, stomach pain, fatigue and headache. Monday night it was terrible night sweats, couldn't sleep with all the above symptoms. Ended up throwing up which made me feel better but since Monday it now being Friday the diarrhea, gas and the stomach pain has been unbearable. The gas is the most disgusting thing I've ever smelt. It's like my stomach is going to split open.

I called my doctor he told me to wait it out to ensure it wasn't a virus and call back in 24 hours. So no changes and he ended up prescribing me Entocort. For what I'm assuming is the start of my first flare? I don't know. Is that used to treat a flare? On top of my Apriso. Imodium is not helping. Any anti gas isn't helping. Can anyone suggest anything for me please?

And anytime I try to eat even simple bread I'm in the bathroom dying. I have literally eaten (since Tuesday) a little rice, the contents of a whole bagel (split up over a few days) and some grilled chicken. That is it. I'm desperate to try anything that won't destroy me. I'm so hungry. Is there anything I could eat?

I feel very grateful that I know my crohns is mild compared to most but I feel like my life is going to end. I know I sound so whiny. I'm sorry I can't help it right now

I should also mention I was on a Zpack last week and had no issues. Started it last Wednesday and done by Sunday. Could those have messed me up that bad starting on Monday?

Have you tried s food diary to see what foods aggravate your system? You might also might try a bland diet until your system calms down. To answer your question about the Entocort , they found active inflammation in my intestines last year and it is one of the medicines they are using to treat it. Does your doctor know about your current condition?

Have you tried s food diary to see what foods aggravate your system? You might also might try a bland diet until your system calms down. To answer your question about the Entocort , they found active inflammation in my intestines last year and it is one of the medicines they are using to treat it. Does your doctor know about your current condition?

Really nothing so far has consistently bothered me. This came on out of nowhere. Yes but how much more bland can I get? Even white bread is killing me. Didn't know if you could suggest anything else thank you. Yes my doctor knows. That's why prescribed me the Entocort.

The Zpack could have upset your intestinal bacterial balance. You might want to be tested for C. Diff. This can seem like a Crohn's flare but doesn't matter what you eat-it doesn't help. Try some high quality probiotics(the refrigerated kind). Perhaps switch to a low sugar, liquid diet for a while. Some find that this helps. I know that when I went off antibiotics I had a huge flare. It wasn't C.Diff(I was tested), I think the antibiotics completely screwed up my microbiome.

Really nothing so far has consistently bothered me. This came on out of nowhere. Yes but how much more bland can I get? Even white bread is killing me. Didn't know if you could suggest anything else thank you. Yes my doctor knows. That's why prescribed me the Entocort.
With the bread bothering you, I wonder if you have an allergy to gluten.

my little penguin

Staff member
For ds we take a break
Meaning all liquid nutrition
In his case it was peptamen Jr
Others have used ensure or boost
So you get nutrition while the gut doesn't have to work as hard

The Zpack could have upset your intestinal bacterial balance. You might want to be tested for C. Diff. This can seem like a Crohn's flare but doesn't matter what you eat-it doesn't help. Try some high quality probiotics(the refrigerated kind). Perhaps switch to a low sugar, liquid diet for a while. Some find that this helps. I know that when I went off antibiotics I had a huge flare. It wasn't C.Diff(I was tested), I think the antibiotics completely screwed up my microbiome.
How long would I have issues for before knowing that it wasn't a flare? Thanks for the info!

Ok so you probably need some high doses of Prednisone. I'm just now weaning myself off it after 4 months. Side affects not good but it helps! I have it in my Ileum, Rectum and Stomach, which is rare! I have a very bland diet. White fish, white rice and canned green beans. Everyone with Crohn's is different. Sorry! Been there done that

I think I've had every test known to man or at least it feels like it. :) And your right as I said before, every case of Crohn's is different!

FYI, I've had upset stomach and diarrhea recently. When I visited the GI PA on Thursday she said to do a stool sample to check for bacterial infection.

And sure enough got the results back today and it's a C. Diff infection. She's ordered antibiotics for me.

Dan

Heather : Some folks eliminate gluten from their diet and it helps them feel better. My Aunt swears that cutting out gluten makes her feel better.

FYI, I've had upset stomach and diarrhea recently. When I visited the GI PA on Thursday she said to do a stool sample to check for bacterial infection.

And sure enough got the results back today and it's a C. Diff infection. She's ordered antibiotics for me.

Dan
I received Vancomycin last year for my C-diff.

Hope you start feeling better soon : - )

I'm so sorry your feeling this way. I've had crohns for a long time So I know how it feels to be scared to eat. If u feel you can't stomach anything get some ensure from your local pharmacy. I'm not sure where you from but here in Australia if u have crohns the hospital help with getting it cheaper for u. Take each day as it comes and try to stay Away from dairy and hard to digest foods. So bread would be one of them. Maybe some boiled veggies like potatoes are good cause it's soft.

Sounds like what I can only assume was my first flare. I'll try to remember what it was that I could eat.

Lactose was bad, and made me barf. I remember that very clearly. Most clear is the memory of eating cheese curds from Culver's, after which I didn't know which end to point at the toilet. It was violence all around.

What I could eat: applesauce, Boost shakes (I imagine any nutrition shake will work. Ensure, etc. Whatever doesn't make you want to vomit), almond milk (I opted for chocolate because it had the most calories), Pedialyte (I can't stand sports drinks), canned mandarin oranges in juice, canned peaches in juice, plain miso soup made from the paste, instant mashed potatoes made with chicken broth and a dash of salt only, vanilla flavor waffle/wafer cookies with the creme in them (I forget what they're called. Chemical shitstorm, for sure, but they went down and stayed down so they were on the menu), rice chex, rice krispies, Naked bottled fruit smoothies (the blue/purple one that's heavy in B vitamins was my favorite), small amounts of rotisserie chicken, beef and chicken broth, scrambled eggs, cantaloupe (which is in season, right now. YAY!).

Yeah. Mostly liquid, soft, and easy to digest and bio-available.

After the first two weeks, and a loss of 10 pounds, I cared less about the nutritional quality and more about getting the calories in my face. I also drank ridiculous quantities of water. Iced seemed to make it easier to drink more.

If medical marijuana is an option in your state, it does help with nausea. And the munchies are a nice side effect :) Also helps with pain and mood. Edible varieties don't have much of a "high" if that concerns you.

I take a food-based multivitamin that seems to absorb incredibly well. With things moving through your system so fast, you'll only get a small amount of the benefits, but why not get what you can? It's the Women's One from Rainbow Light ($25 for 120 HUGE 1-a-day vitamins). It has a probiotic in it, too. My doctor suggested the Culturelle probiotic which is also available off the shelf ($25 for 30). Both are highly rated at labdoor.com and available off the shelf at my version of Kroger.

And, in my experience, Imodium just made things worse. WAY more gas pain and no lessening of the explosive shits.

However, I tend to be sensitive to drugs of all kinds. My body chemistry seems to prefer to be left alone.

HI Heather
Does your Doctor specialize in Crohn's?
Try boost or ensure.
I live in Ocala and see Dr Glover at Shands she specializes in treating crohn's.

Be assertive with your Doctors.
Hope you feel better soon anything I can help with let me know.