• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Try heat for injection pain.

My daughter has been on Humira for a year and a half. Weekly injections for about half that time.
We read this weekend that someone had success applying a warm pack to the site before injection.
We tried it this morning with a microwavable heat pack.
IT WORKED!!!!!!
She said there was NO pain!!!

It ws just one of those rice packs that you microwave for a minute. She probably held it there for about 10 minutes before injection.

Maya142

Staff member
We will try that too for my older daughter. She found switching to the syringe from the pen really helped but it would be GREAT if heat worked and made it even less painful!!

Thanks Pilgrim!!

Maya142

Staff member
My older daughter tried it! She says it worked but she thinks ice works better. Neither makes it painless for her.

She says the trick with ice is to leave it on until she has "basically frozen her leg off." She says when her leg is REALLY REALLY cold, she feels the burn less.

But definitely a good trick to know if we don't have ice on hand!

My older daughter tried it! She says it worked but she thinks ice works better. Neither makes it painless for her.

She says the trick with ice is to leave it on until she has "basically frozen her leg off." She says when her leg is REALLY REALLY cold, she feels the burn less.

But definitely a good trick to know if we don't have ice on hand!
Too bad it didn't work as well for her! She sounds like a pro!

Maya142

Staff member
Honestly, I suspect heat worked just as well but she's just used to ice. She has been on Humira for years and has worked out a routine (ice, TV, shot, chocolate ;) ).

Just as a warning - she has managed to get an "ice burn" twice while icing her leg (she was watching TV and didn't notice how cold her leg was getting). They have be careful with both heat AND ice!

my little penguin

Staff member
Haven't tried it yet
Had to hold the shot due to a bad cold
Basically fever watch
If none by morning he gets the humira
And Mtx