• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated Newbie

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with both fistulating & perianal Crohn's disease a year & a half ago. I'm only 22 and have had to continuously put my life on hold & am now looking at the possibility of premature menopause because of the disease. I'd had symptoms since I was 18 but thought they were just stomach aches but 2 years later I woke up one day barely being able to walk. I spent months being misdiagnosed & put on antibiotics before I was finally diagnosed & feel like a bit of a test dummy. It's been pretty tough trying to explain it to people who just don't understand.

In the space of 6 months I ended up having to have 4 surgeries because I had an rectal abscess that was the size of a golf ball that continued to reform so I spent a lot of time bedridden & in a lot of pain. It's been a year since my fourth operation where they put a temporary drainage tube in & a seton. I have been on both Humira & Purinethol for a year but I am now looking at a possible fifth surgery. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any helpful information? I'm beyond frustrated but have been told that there's nothing they can do, that it will just have to burn itself out one day. I don't want to have to keep having surgeries every few months & the Crohn's has caused a lot of other health issues.

Hi. I am sorry for everything you have been through. You might want to ask the doctor if he/she would want to put you on a different biologic other than Humira? I hope they can find the right mixture of medicines and you can avoid surgery.

Thankyou for replying! They were looking at putting me on Remicade & I have tried to push for it too but because the Humira is working for my stomach symptoms they don't want to change it

scottsma

I really hope it "burns out" soon.You've been through far too much pain and discomfort.
I can't give you any advice,because luckily I haven't had your problems,but there are many on the forum who have.The time difference means that replies are sometimes a long time coming.I just wanted to say Hi,and send my support.

It's currently 1:45am but I haven't been sleeping much because of being sore plus I'm a bit nervous to find out if I need surgery or not tomorrow :)

Crohn's is rotten disease and I am sorry you have this at your age.
There are lots of people on here who have had to have surgery so there is lots of help and support. I hope for now you don't have to have anymore.

You're in my thoughts and I'm sending you a HUGE hug! I can't imagine the agony :-(
I had a tiny abscess that caused horrible pain inside my rectum and into my tailbone. But golf ball size? Can you do anything for comfort? Ice pack or heating pad?

Thankyou so much, as are you!
Abscesses are an absolute pain, how people put up with them I don't know but they deserve an award that's for sure.

I usually use a heat pack or hot water bottle to relieve the throbbing for a bit but I had a fifth surgery yesterday to change the seton & clean things out & there's no abscess! so happy :)

Thankyou so much, as are you!
Abscesses are an absolute pain, how people put up with them I don't know but they deserve an award that's for sure.

I usually use a heat pack or hot water bottle to relieve the throbbing for a bit but I had a fifth surgery yesterday to change the seton & clean things out & there's no abscess! so happy :)
That is great. Congratulations. No abscess.