• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I was diagnosed with crohns disease 22 years ago when i almost died before they figured it out i had to have partial large intestine removal where they actually removed the entire right large intestine well after i healed i was able to control this nasty disease until a few months ago i started having flare ups a lot closer in time and lasting longer then one day i was walking through and hit the floor with this unbelievable pain well stubborn me thought i was just going to get through this well half way through the night i started vomiting and the pain was intense next morning went to emergency room to find out i had a bowel rupture and emergency surgery well this time they removed even more of my small intestine well let me tell you this recovery was allot harder of course that's a good many years difference well after dealing with infected wound i developed a very small skin fistula right at the bottom of the incision from surgery well here it is almost 3 months and it still here they aren't doing anything for it just tell me keep it packed with clean guaze changing as needed and to use desitin to protect the skin..... I'm at wits end I'm normally a very active Granma but this has really slowed me down i can't even wear most my clothes due to where it is located...... I'm just so upset and want to know how long this will take

I'm so sorry to hear of all you have been through. Unfortunately, it can take some time for a fistula to heal. The surgery caused the fistula? Is it draining? Have they determined that there isn't an abscess connected to it?

I hope you recover quickly and are able to get back into the swing of things!

I'm so sorry to hear of all you have been through. Unfortunately, it can take some time for a fistula to heal. The surgery caused the fistula? Is it draining? Have they determined that there isn't an abscess connected to it?

I hope you recover quickly and are able to get back into the swing of things!
Yes it drains sometimes quite a bit and yes it was caused by the surgery... they did a ct scan and said it was a very small fistula no surgery necessary it would close on its own when my crohns gets managed so now waiting on colonoscopy next month all my levels seem to be good

Welcome. What kind of meds are you on? I am sorry for all you have been through. I am wondering if a biologic or something would help. I am no doctor. Just wondering.

Welcome. What kind of meds are you on? I am sorry for all you have been through. I am wondering if a biologic or something would help. I am no doctor. Just wondering.
They put me on pentasa.... I'm going to call gi tom and see if i can get him to give some antibiotics since it seems to be draining allot more and now some pain my poor skin is awful

my little penguin

Staff member
Pentasa is a 5-Asa which most Gi refer to as giving aspirin for a brain tumor not going to help much but not going to hurt either .
Pentasa is not approved as a monotherapy for crohns for a reason
It only treats the top most layer of the intestine and crohns goes through all layers
I am surprised they gave you pentasa when you have a fistula and required surgery