• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Good afternoon everybody. I'm new to this site and new to Crohn's Disease. My name is Brandy and I'm a mother of 3 boys and I'm married to a wonderful man who has been by my side for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Crohn's back in March of this year. So everything has been turned upside down for me and my family with this disease to the point of many many hospital trips and many many pain meds with nothing working. I just got released from the hospital on Saturday after a week long stay which that was my second hospital stay since March. I've seen people saying that they have service dogs for this and I was wondering how does that work? I've got so many questions and my husband and I have done so much research on this disease that its totally overwhelming. I mean there are so many meds foods and things in general that says they do good then I try them and in the hospital I go. I can't keep going to the hospital and staying not with having 3 boys under the age of 10 years old. I've thought about giving up so many times but then think about my boys and know I have to keep fighting. I guess I'm just looking for somebody to talk to who knows what I'm going through. My husband is my biggest supporter but he doesn't know how I feel or what I'm going through even though bless his heart he does try to understand. So any advice helpful tips some resources anything will be great! Thanks!

You asked about service dogs. My wife is in a wheelchair and has one. I understand that they also have them for people with Crohns. They are, for example, good for laying across your tummy and I have heard they can sense a half hour ahead of time before you need to make a bathroom trip.

Thanks for replying to my post. Honestly I have no clue where to start or how to go about looking into one. There is so much information on the internet about Crohn's that like I said its so overwhelming

I recently heard about service dogs for Crohn's. I know when my Crohn's was flaring last month I couldn't keep my cats off my tummy. Sorry you're a member of this club :-( I was dx when I was 13 or 14 and am in mid 30s now. Hugs to you and welcome :)

I recently heard about service dogs for Crohn's. I know when my Crohn's was flaring last month I couldn't keep my cats off my tummy. Sorry you're a member of this club :-( I was dx when I was 13 or 14 and am in mid 30s now. Hugs to you and welcome :)

I was dx back in March of this year. I'm 30 years old with 3 little boys. I would like to get a dog for this but honestly I have no clue how or where to start about getting a service dog, but then again I'm scared that if I do get a dog I'm going to be in to much pain to spend time with the dog with the walks and stuff so I'm on the fence about this.

I was dx back in March of this year. I'm 30 years old with 3 little boys. I would like to get a dog for this but honestly I have no clue how or where to start about getting a service dog, but then again I'm scared that if I do get a dog I'm going to be in to much pain to spend time with the dog with the walks and stuff so I'm on the fence about this.
Sending you support.