• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula office visit and Surgery

I just had fistula surgery a couple of months ago and everything went well. My question is more for what others have experienced in the billing afterwards.

I had a first time visit with my speacilist prior to the surgery. They asked about my issues and basically looked at the fistula with a small camera to make sure that was what I had. No anesitha, or cutting took place.

I paid my regular copay and they set up my surgery appointment and follow up weeks later.

I had my surgery the next week. Or went well and I have paid for that portion of the service.

I had a follow up appointment in the speacilist office about 3 weeks later. They did the same thing as my first appointment. They just looked at the sound and sent me on my way.

Now weeks later I am being billed for both pre and post-op appoints as an office surgery. I'm not sure if looking at the fistula is considered a surgery charge or not.

Has anyone had the same or a different experience with this?

I was told that getting the CPT codes should give me the info I need.
I was able to get those over the weekend but am not sure what I am looking at.

Looks like the outpatient surgery was billed as, CPT 46275.
Would that code cover the follow up appointment?
As far as the office visits before and after the surgery, I am not sure which is which as they are not dated, but the codes are.

CPT

CPT