• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy question?

Hi, so i have a colonoscopy scedualed on the 9th of august but it is 5 days before we go on holiday abroad, so i was wondering if i should rescedual it just because it is to close and if i get a diagnosis i might have to visit the hospital again and they said i might have to stay in hospital after depending on what they find what do you think?

Also do you get to leave straight away after your colonoscopy or do you have to wait there?

And lastly if you have crohns does will the doctors be able to tell you that straight away or would i have to wait a few weeks?

I would really appriciate help thank you xx

Scipio

If you are given "twilight sleep" anesthesia (which I recommend) for the colonoscopy you will not be allowed to drive yourself home from the exam right away. You will either have to wait until you fully recover your wits, which could take a while, or have someone with you to drive you home, which is the more common course.

The doctor may be able to diagnose Crohn's right away depending on what is seen during the colonoscopy and what information (lab tests, etc) they already have. The more common course is to set up a follow-up office appointment to go over the results and determine a path forward. If biopsies are taken during the colonoscopy, and they commonly are, then the doctor will want to have the pathology report available before you come in for your follow-up. That all might take more than 5 days.

How urgent all this is depends largely how good or bad you feel. If you are doing more or less okay and can make it through your holiday trip, then it's probably okay to do the colonoscopy before the trip and schedule the follow-up for after your trip. But if you are suffering a lot, you may wish to delay your trip and get all this settled and get on the new medicine before you venture abroad.

If you are given "twilight sleep" anesthesia (which I recommend) for the colonoscopy you will not be allowed to drive yourself home from the exam right away. You will either have to wait until you fully recover your wits, which could take a while, or have someone with you to drive you home, which is the more common course.

The doctor may be able to diagnose Crohn's right away depending on what is seen during the colonoscopy and what information (lab tests, etc) they already have. The more common course is to set up a follow-up office appointment to go over the results and determine a path forward. If biopsies are taken during the colonoscopy, and they commonly are, then the doctor will want to have the pathology report available before you come in for your follow-up. That all might take more than 5 days.

How urgent all this is depends largely how good or bad you feel. If you are doing more or less okay and can make it through your holiday trip, then it's probably okay to do the colonoscopy before the trip and schedule the follow-up for after your trip. But if you are suffering a lot, you may wish to delay your trip and get all this settled and get on the new medicine before you venture abroad.
I agree.

If you are feeling well enough now to plan a trip, the colonoscopy will not effect your travel plans. If anything, the prep and clean out may allow you to feel a bit better for the trip. Be careful with diet prior to and after.

A diagnosis after the scope should not prevent travel, unless they find something drastic. Results of biopsies taken during the scope likely won't be known for a few weeks. Good luck.

I would say if you feel well enough don't cancel your trip. They can start you on medication on the day of scope (your doc should come talk to you afterwards about preliminary results).

The only issue I would say is if you are going to a high risk area (Thailand, etc) or somewhere where a live vaccine is required for travel, if so I would reschedule that in case they do put you on meds the day of.

Otherwise enjoy your trip!