• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone, here's my story...

Hi all!

Firstly, I should say that I only discovered this forum today. I've never really spent much time trying to learn about my illness... 'our' illness, but recently I've been suffering and I guess it prompted me to do a bit of research. I guess I was in denial before. I came across this lovely community and signed up as soon as I finished work. Now, here's my story, nice to meet you.

My name is Richard and I'm a 25 year old male, living in Wales, UK. I'm currently working for a National Museum and I shoot video freelance. I was diagnosed with Crohn's back in 2003. A bunch of worries and anxieties brought on my first experience, and luckily I was dealt with quickly and efficiently by the NHS. I was initially given powerful anti-inlammatory steroids, and then given a 100mg a day dosage of Aziothiprine. This was too much for me, and led to much sickness and nausea. I was cut to 50mg a day.

It went into remission for a period of about 2.5 years, whereby I took 50mg a day. I never felt right on the medication, often feeling groggy, tired and since they're immuno-suppressants, I fell ill with colds etc. I decided to take myself off the drug. Probably not my greatest moment, but I managed to fight off the illness for a further 18 months (ish).

I enjoyed a really good stretch, eating and drinking whatever I felt like, with relatively high quality of life. I'm also a cyclist, and I'm fairly fit.

For the past few months, although unrelated to Crohn's, I've been anxious, suffering depression and some generally hard times. This seems to have brought me into a period of relapse. Pretty much anything I eat or drink goes straight through and my energy levels are decreasing daily.

Maybe my good luck streak has run out. I was told that it will worsen and I guess the time is now. I thought it would be wise to join a community, to learn about diet and general well being.

So, I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Rich

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Welcome to the forum Richard. There is a ton of great info and supportive people here. I hope you start to feel like your old self soon.

Hi! This is a really great place to hang out and get support.
Everyone here is really understanding and extremely supportive. You'll love it here, I know I do. :)

Welcome Richard
I hope you find this to be a good place for info and support. It has really helped me keep some degree of sanity!
Shaz

farm

Captain Insaneo
Welcome! I could not take Aziothiprine (Imuran) it made me so sick I was actually admitted to the hospital twice so I know how you were feeling.

Hello Rich!
Welcome to the Forum!

You'll find a wealth of information here
and a great group of understanding people...

Make yourself at home!
Any questions, just ask away...
there's usually someone close by...
or, if you just need to vent that's fine...we'll listen.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy :)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Rich - what an awesome sounding job!
I hope you can find a lot of good advice here and get to feeling better.
Welcome to the forum!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hello, welcome to the forum! I too cannot take immunosuppressants, it affects my liver almost right away, and tried different meds that are like those but none I can tolerate. Being in shape is good, but diet when you are flaring is important too.

Sorry you are back to the pain cycle but as this disease is, can be hard to control and never know when it will strike you.

Glad you joined us, so much information from experiences of others!

Welcome Rich. I couldn't tolerate azathioprine even at 50mg! nor a few others it seems.

Stress and anxiety seems a trigger for many people, then fatigue doesn't help with the stress and the wellbeing needed to help get back to normal.

Hope you find what you are looking for here.

Welcome to the forum, Richard
I'm currently on azathioprine and it seems to be working for me.
I agree that stress and anxiety don't help the crohns very much.
Hope you're feeling better soon

hi Richard, welcome to the forum :) you live in my favourite part of the world! :D

here's hoping this is just a flare brought on by the various triggers you mention, and that things will calm back down soon. looking forward to seeing you around the forum, and has been suggested, take a look at the diet advice.. going onto a low residue diet right now might help a lot.

dingbat said:
hi Richard, welcome to the forum :) you live in my favourite part of the world! :D

here's hoping this is just a flare brought on by the various triggers you mention, and that things will calm back down soon. looking forward to seeing you around the forum, and has been suggested, take a look at the diet advice.. going onto a low residue diet right now might help a lot.
Ha, really? That's real nice. It's a beautiful country. Where have you visited?

Just an update, over the past couple of days, I've cut out milk, caffeine and wholemeal bread.

It seems to have resided slightly.

Caffeine is going to be difficult to cut out, I love a good cup of Tea or Coffee. I do quite enjoy herbal tea though. Camomile and honey!

Thanks again for the welcome.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Coffee is something I havent given up yet, so far I am ok, but I know it is not good for us. Wheat is another culprit. Takes time for you body to adjust, but good that you like herbal teas, they are good for you.

Welcome Rich! Hope you feel well soon....And I am a tea drinker and I always go for the caffine free...Dont know if caffine bothers me since I just usually buy water and caffine free teas, even before I knew about crohns.

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum - you have stumbled upon a great place - all these guys have been lovely to me when I have bared my soul and griped about this rotten illness.

I too had the vomiting on AZA - not classy at all. I am on Mercaptopurine now, I hope you have been back to your GI - maybe a dose of steroids to calm things a bit.

I think you are right to be looking at diet too - I can't to dairy either, and I have to keep my tea within strict limits!

You're going to meet some great people here - with lots of guidance tips and support to offer you!

Welcome again, and keep fighting!

Ooh - and Wales - what a place to live - although is it not a tad hilly for the cycling - you must be uber fit! My sis lived near cardiff for a while and I have never seen hills like it!

Lishyloo!

Welcome to the forum Richard! This is the best thing that ever happened to me when I found out I had the disease. A great place to find information and understanding.

I thought I would update this thread, as I have had some great experiences over the last few weeks with an adjustment to my diet.

I have eliminated alcohol, completely!

I have eliminated milk, butter and cream as carefully as possible. If dairy is an ingredient in a sauce then I've not made too much of an effort to avoid it.

I've moved to a bread that is called 'Best of both' and has the benefits of brown bread but is more white. It's very good and has as much calcium in two slices as a glass of milk.

I've been taking Omega 3 capsules for 2 weeks now. One every morning.

One or all of these has resulted in a COMPLETE remission for me. An absolute change in condition. There is no trace of my illness whatsoever!

As I said previously in this thread, I've had good luck with my illness and not had to be too careful over the years since initial diagnoses... so these simple changes have given me so much hope that I can actually control this without medication again.

Lishyloo said:
Great news!!! Long may it last!
Thank you!

I've been frequently reading online that although Omega 3 has a natural anti inflammatory benefit, it has inconsistent results in helping to reduce the symptoms of Crohns. Many tests have been carried out... it seems.

Is there a better chance it could be the fact I have cut alcohol and milk?

I just realised your comment on Wales being hilly! Yes, it most definitely is! I can vouch for that you're right. I am very fit these days but it's taken a while to get there what with the Crohns relapse of the last 6 months.

Do you ever visit Wales now your sister has left?

Hi Rich - and welcome (a little late :O)

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 13 years now and just recently tried cutting out all dairy. It does seem to have help with my symptoms. I don't do any caffeine or much alcohol (probably 3 drinks in a year), so that wasn't a problem either. I am so glad to hear that with those simple steps you were able to get relief!

Peaches said:
Hi Rich - and welcome (a little late :O)

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 13 years now and just recently tried cutting out all dairy. It does seem to have help with my symptoms. I don't do any caffeine or much alcohol (probably 3 drinks in a year), so that wasn't a problem either. I am so glad to hear that with those simple steps you were able to get relief!
Thank you!

Fortunately I can deal with caffeine. I did cut it out of my diet but re-introduced it recently. I read that several mugs of black tea a day, for around 2 weeks can dramatically increase and improve your immune system. The natural anti oxidants are killed when milk is added. Can you not take caffeine at all?

Nope - not unless I want an immediate colon cleanse LOL!!! It just makes everything go right through me - I think I have always been that way though - very sensitive to it. I always tell people I am naturally caffeinated anyway since I can be kinda hyper. If Starbucks messes upon my decaf with caff I end up feeling like I could crawl out of my skin and up the wall!