• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exploratory laparotomy lysis of adhesions takedown of end ileostomy ileocolic anastom

Well surgery is scheduled for august 4th. I'm a little nervous to be honest. He's going to reverse my end ileostomy but he's gonna open my midline incision because the cat scan showed lots of scar tissue and a stricture right behind my stoma so he's gonna cut all of that out. And he's gonna cut a little of my colon out where the crohns damaged it. And fix a hernia. So this is a lot. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this done before? And could tell me what to expect. I'm really scared of the pain and the pain when I come home. So what to expect pain wise and how long should I expect to be in the hospital?.thank u so much in advance for the help

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Brad
Two years running I have had abdominal surgery, the first was to remove a 4.6cms polyp with early cancerous changes.the surgeon removed multiple adhesions before being able to proceed with the polyp removal and then removed the entire right colon.he also found the colon had folded over itself quite a challenge.i came through fine but did get a wound infection .it took a few months to get back to near normal.
The following year ie last September more surgery to remove the sigmoid colon ."again many adhesions to remove before he could get to the sigmoid area.
Things healed up pretty well and I am back to full speed again.
This was all done laparoscopically although I had been warned he might need a midline incision...which was avoided.
I will add that being a senior meant a higher mortality....didn't happen and I feel really good now...everything is working well...no bags or attachments necessary..big relief that.
If I can do it so can you...but I understand the agonies of mind it causes just thinking about it. I realize your situation is a bit different but the same crohns plus I have severe diverticular disease..
I'm sure you'll be just fine
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Trysha

Staff member
You will be fine with the surgery.
My first Time i had a midline incision for exploratory surgery and the appendix removed.
The second time the midline was reopened ...loads of adhesions removed and then the planned cholecystectomy.All past history.
Fast forward to current surgeries as previously described.
Amazing what the body can tolerate especially with good surgeons.
Prayers and best wishes for you on August 4th......let us know how you get on
Trysha

Best wishes, Brad.

I am 10 days post a laparoscopic right hemicolectomy, so not nearly as extensive a surgery as you are having, but wanted to say that I am impressed with how well my pain was controlled in the hospital. I had a pump for the first three days so I could press a button for fast pain relief through my IV and was sent home with some Dilaudid.

Make sure you let them know if you are in pain.