• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Uc diagnosed today

I was just diagnosed today with ulcerative colitis from biopsies. My doctor has put me on sulfasalazine and said I will be good in 6 weeks time and feeling great. As I'm new to this I was wondering if this will get rid of it completely or there's a chance of coming back after this time.

I'm very new sorry if it's a stupid question

Welcome. I am sorry you have this. People with Ulcerative Colitis is a !lifetime disease. It is possible though to reach remission though. I hope the doctor can get you in remission.

Everyone's different and I hope you get your UC under control soon, I'm sure many people do. I was one of the unlucky ones, diagnosed initially with UC, got worse and now have Crohns three or four years on. A lot of people on this forum have had a similar progression of their disease, but there are probably loads more people with mild disease just getting on with their lives and not interested in a forum like this because their lives are OK despite their diagnosis.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Natasha25 and welcome.

UC is a disease that is characterised by flares, what you are experiencing now, and periods of remission. The drug you have been prescribed may work very well for you and indeed put you into remission, sending you loads of luck that it does!

The main thing to remember is that remission is just that so there is a chance that it will come back. I am a little wary of the doc that says you have UC, here is this med take it and all will be well as I think it has the potential to lull you into a false sense of security. I hope that doesn’t sound alarmist as I don’t intend it that way, all I am suggesting is for you to remain vigilant regardless of how you are feeling. Even when in remission have your bloods and faecal protection done at least annually and scopes no longer than every 3 years.

Thank you very much for all your replies. The doctor said I have a bit of uc and it only showed up in two of my biopsies. I was just a bit confused if having only a bit stil meant it was just as serious?