• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inspirational Story

For a little bit of encouragement, look up Kathleen Baker. She just won an Olympic silver medal for Team USA and was diagnosed with Crohn's at the age of 11. It's always nice to read about beating who are beating this terrible disease that we struggle with.

Scipio

Although making diagnoses long after the fact is not an exactly science, based on recorded symptoms and medical observations made at the time it's likely that several major historical heroes or political figures also suffered from IBD. For example Alfred the Great - the 9th century Anglo-Saxon King of Wessex and a sort of Founding Father figure for the country of England suffered for all of his adult life with symptoms of Crohn's or UC.

More recently, at about the same time that Burrill Crohn was publishing the first formal description of the disease, a young, college-age, JFK was diagnosed with "colitis" that was successfully brought under control with high doses of corticosteroids. Prior to that he was constantly in abdominal pain and was losing a lot of weight. The long-term use of the steroids in turn trashed his bones, especially his vertebrae, making his chronic back problems worse and worse.

President Eisenhower also had symptoms of Crohn's and was treated with surgery to relieve a bowel blockage and remove section of diseased bowel.

Although making diagnoses long after the fact is not an exactly science, based on recorded symptoms and medical observations made at the time it's likely that several major historical heroes or political figures also suffered from IBD. For example Alfred the Great - the 9th century Anglo-Saxon King of Wessex and a sort of Founding Father figure for the country of England suffered for all of his adult life with symptoms of Crohn's or UC.

More recently, at about the same time that Burrill Crohn was publishing the first formal description of the disease, a young, college-age, JFK was diagnosed with "colitis" that was successfully brought under control with high doses of corticosteroids. Prior to that he was constantly in abdominal pain and was losing a lot of weight. The long-term use of the steroids in turn trashed his bones, especially his vertebrae, making his chronic back problems worse and worse.

President Eisenhower also had symptoms of Crohn's and was treated with surgery to relieve a bowel blockage and remove section of diseased bowel.

That's why I don't but the idea that Crohn's is cause by diet since figures long before today had Crohn's.

Her story is amazing and sheds light on this horrible illness,hopefully this added publicity gives more money for a cure.

Last edited:
My aunt is an avid swimmer and we have been following Kathleen Baker through these Olympics. My aunt said she lost gold to someone with a "few too many muscles" lol. Either way the silver is such an accomplishment and to do it with Crohn's is just amazing.

As others said I hope it brings more attention, research and money to IBD.

My aunt is an avid swimmer and we have been following Kathleen Baker through these Olympics. My aunt said she lost gold to someone with a "few too many muscles" lol. Either way the silver is such an accomplishment and to do it with Crohn's is just amazing.

As others said I hope it brings more attention, research and money to IBD.
Yes. A coiuple of these people I was not aware of.