• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well Imuran it is!

So our little 5 year old lasted for 18 months on Pentasa for her UC (pancolitis). She has been mildly flaring for the last 6-8 weeks with very few symptoms and low inflammation markers. We increased Pentasa and it worked for about a week or two and Monday we had to take her in for massive amounts of bloody diarrhea and pain. Her inflammation sky rocketed. We are on oral prednisone for the first time. We are on day 3 and she feels so much better. As a matter of fact, we may have to give her some Miralax because she hasn't gone since she started the prednisone. Her doc ran some labs to check certain things and will start the Imuran as soon as those come back in the next week. So we are looking at starting on it some time next week. We are on 30 days of pred and then will taper off. Her taper will be done 2 days before we leave for Disney. I am going to ask him for a script for it to take with us on vacation because I am so worried she will flare while we are there. Are there any special precautions we should take on Imuran for germs? I am a germaphobe already and am so panicked about her catching something.

Good idea on the extra script. I like to always have that stuff on hand. I've been on 6mp for 15 plus years and have not had any issues with germs and I touch everything. My only issue I am having is skin issues due to the suppressed immune system long term. Good luck. I can't imagine a child going through this.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was age 7 when he was dx and placed on 6-mp
So second grade ...
Only washed his hands
No issues
Immunosuppressants do NOT make you more likely to catch the common cold or the normal school crude
It does make them more susceptible to opportunistic infections like tag a longs woth the flu such as pneumonia

So just wash hands ;)

Ds was age 7 when he was dx and placed on 6-mp
So second grade ...
Only washed his hands
No issues
Immunosuppressants do NOT make you more likely to catch the common cold or the normal school crude
It does make them more susceptible to opportunistic infections like tag a longs woth the flu such as pneumonia

So just wash hands ;)
Thats great to know! She will get a flu shot as soon as she is finished with the steroids.

my little penguin

Staff member
Flu shot
I believe you need to wait 2-3 weeks after steriods before you can get the shot so it's actually effective - please check with your Gi
Also only the actually shot
The mist can't be given if they are on immunosuppressants or biologics

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter is on Imuran and a biologic. We don't do anything except have her wash her hands frequently.

She does try to stay away from her friends with they're visibly sick (coughing/sneezing) but it doesn't always work. Plus, at any time, half the class is sick at school, so really nothing we can do.

But anyway, we haven't had any weird infections. She only gets one cold a year or so, which was exactly how she was prior to Imuran.

Good luck!

I think the extra script is a good idea as well. I was recently on Prednisone for months and had a horrible withdraw from it after coming off of it. That would be no fun at Disney. I would think it would be better to talk to her doc about staying on it until after Disney. Even if you have to pack the pill container and choke down the nasty tasting pill on vacation!
Good luck, things will definitely get better!:)

I think the extra script is a good idea as well. I was recently on Prednisone for months and had a horrible withdraw from it after coming off of it. That would be no fun at Disney. I would think it would be better to talk to her doc about staying on it until after Disney. Even if you have to pack the pill container and choke down the nasty tasting pill on vacation!
Good luck, things will definitely get better!:)
Thanks! I thought about that. She will actually be tapered so hopefully we would have some symptoms before she comes completely off before we leave. I am considering talking to him about staying on it at Disney. She actually LOVES taking the steroids. Its a liquid because she is only 5 and can't swallow a pill. I don't give her any sugar and its cherry flavored and sweet so she thinks its a treat. Good ideas! Thanks so much!

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo was once allowed to stay on a low dose of Prednisone for an extra two weeks for sleepaway camp. We didn't want to change anything before she went to camp -- it worked well and she had a great time. It's worth asking about.

Does she get tired easily or is she able to walk a lot? There is a lot of walking at Disney. We had to rent a wheelchair.

Great advice so far. The only thing I would add is if you're flying, wipe down as much as you can before she gets in her seat. Airplanes are so yucky!

My kiddo was once allowed to stay on a low dose of Prednisone for an extra two weeks for sleepaway camp. We didn't want to change anything before she went to camp -- it worked well and she had a great time. It's worth asking about.

Does she get tired easily or is she able to walk a lot? There is a lot of walking at Disney. We had to rent a wheelchair.
Oh I will certainly ask about that. She is a 30 lb 5 year old so she is still in a stroller. She mostly likes to walk though. She is a spunky energetic kid, even in the flare. We go to Disney often. I am a travel agent, so this will be her 5th time. Its our favorite place.

Her taper will be over a month. She is on 15mg daily for 30 days and then will be tapered down over the next 30 days but I will ask if he will leave her on them for the extra week. Great idea!

Great advice so far. The only thing I would add is if you're flying, wipe down as much as you can before she gets in her seat. Airplanes are so yucky!
We are driving. Its much easier to drive the 11 hours and have our car to pack her food and meds in a cooler.