• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appendectomy

I had a little bit back pain on Thursday morning then I got the abdominal pain earlier in the day couldn't take the pain a friend called EMS I thought maybe I had stones kidney stones and they gave me the CAT scan and brought me right up to the operating room it was my appendix I'm concerned about this Crohn's ddiseas I already have a problem moving my bowels and I cannot tell you the pain. Oh yeah I probably could being that a lot of you already had your appendix removed I was reading about the Crohn's disease but it didn't tell me very much I guess I'll have to read side effects how long after your appendix is removed will this Crohn's Disease start

Hi. I, personally, still have my appendix. This disease affects everyone differently. I am not sure of any correlation between having the appendix removed and Crohns Disease. Ask your doctor about your issue with your bowels and the pain.

Last edited:
I no longer have my appendix because of my Crohn's surgery. The appendix is attached to the upper end of the colon, close to the terminal ileum. It was my terminal ileum plus 3 ft of my small intestine and the first 6 inches of my colon that were removed. Attached to that portion of the colon is the appendix. I know a lot of people who have had their appendix removed and did not have crohn's disease.

If I was you I would not worry about it unless a doctor has told me I should be concerned.

Good luck to you.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has had crohns since he was7
And still has his appendix
I agree -waiting until your doctor tells you it's something to worry about

Scipio

My Crohn's was discovered partly due to appendicitis with ruptured appendix. I had emergency surgery to remove the appendix, and the additional inflammation in the nearby terminal ileum was detected by imaging studies at that time. When the ileal inflammation did not improve after the appendectomy and a bad case of anemia later developed to boot. the Crohn's was diagnosed.

So they figured out that some of the occasional pain in the years and months leading up to the appendectomy was not appendicitis, as was first believed, but was really Crohn's.