• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting off Aza and onto Humira?

Hi everyone,

I've been in the hospital yesterday and today, and my white blood cell count has been really low these past two days - while the rest of the time it's been good.

I've been on Azatioprin for the past six years, and apart from maybe a small flare around December each year, I've been fine.

Now the GI that saw me told me Aza is apparently not working anymore, and she wants me to be on Humira.

I sent an email to my GI doctor back home - in Europe - and asked for advice, because my first reaction was "fuck that".

Any advice? I'm also seeing a new GI on Thursday.

Azathioprine works by decreasing the production of white blood cells. It does this by interfering with the production of their genetic material, DNA, which stops the cells from dividing and multiplying. If your white blood cell count is dangerously low, maybe you need to get off it. My GI reduced my dosage and kept me on it. Wait and see what the new GI says. Be careful around people who have colds, you don't want to catch anything right now. Don't get live vaccines.

Azathioprine works by decreasing the production of white blood cells. It does this by interfering with the production of their genetic material, DNA, which stops the cells from dividing and multiplying. If your white blood cell count is dangerously low, maybe you need to get off it. My GI reduced my dosage and kept me on it. Wait and see what the new GI says. Be careful around people who have colds, you don't want to catch anything right now. Don't get live vaccines.
Hey Tuff, thanks for the response. I am on 100mg of Aza a day, and honestly yesterday I didn't take it, and today I didn't take it as well - these are the days I have been in the hospital on steroids and fluids.

I do want a second opinion, because it seems like more than the Aza, the issue might be an infection that I'm having and that they are not looking at, or maybe it's because of the flare up itself?

Last year, there was too much of it was in my blood and it had to be reduced in half
But are there any other meds aside from Humira? Honestly, I'm not ready to have injections, or to think about getting a surgery, just because this is not Crohn's.

Hey Tuff, thanks for the response. I am on 100mg of Aza a day, and honestly yesterday I didn't take it, and today I didn't take it as well - these are the days I have been in the hospital on steroids and fluids.

I do want a second opinion, because it seems like more than the Aza, the issue might be an infection that I'm having and that they are not looking at, or maybe it's because of the flare up itself?
Steroids can lower your white blood cell count too. If you're in a flare right now, then she's probably right, Aza is not working for you anymore, and you need a new medication. You want to minimize the damage that is being done to your intestines, so that you won't have complications later.

Mhr. I'm just scared of having to jump to a Tier 3 medication... Because I've had URC for only seven years, so...

my little penguin

Staff member
There is methotrexate and other biologics
Like remicade (infusion every 8 weeks )
Cimizia
Simponi
Stelera
Ds was Dx at 7
Started remicade at 8
-and switched to humira after al allergic run to remicade
He has been on humira for almost 5 years

Good luck and getting a second opinion is always a good idea

I've been on 6mp for 18 years and have to switch to Humira soon due to major skin issues. I am scared too but all of these meds are risky so I'm trying not to stress too much. Good luck

Mhr. I'm just scared of having to jump to a Tier 3 medication... Because I've had URC for only seven years, so...
I was put on humira about 8 months after diagnosis, i know it's scary but if you are in a flare you need to take something to stop the inner damage from getting too severe. The problem with IBD is there can be lots of damage happening internally even if overall we aren't feeling too bad. Definitely get a second opinion but try not to be scared of Humira as it really can help and you can be on it for years.

I had been on Aza for five years until I had a perforation. After my surgery (2 years ago) my GI told me to stop taking Aza and put me on prednisone instead. At the same time another colleague of his recommended Remicade instead of prednisone, but my GI did it his way. Well I just moved to another city and another GI I am seeing put me on Aza again after I had a flare-up and I'm feeling much better now. He told me somehow this is my last shot before Humira.
Although when I look back, I consider that the consulted GI was right and I should have started Remicade after surgery (I had another bleeding and another round of prednisone a few months after my surgery). To conclude, don't be afraid of Humira, it's far less harmful than prednisone.