• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Holidays

First month on Remicade- Any tips on how to handle the holidays and large groups of people while on a Biologic?

my little penguin

Staff member
Nothing differentjust wash your hands
It only increases risk of opportunistic infections such as tag along side with the flu etc
Not the common cold
6 years of biologics
Just washing hands and get the flu shot

Maya142

Staff member
We haven't had any issues. I tell my kids to wash their hands a lot.

If there is someone who is visibly sick - coughing and sneezing - they try to keep their distance. Obviously, it's not always possible (especially in middle and high school when kids are always sick).

ditto the hand washing, 3 years on remicade hasn't gotten sick any easier just seems to take longer to get over, only issues we've had are from infections from bug bites. Have a great holiday season and enjoy.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Same here... no issues. While on remi, my son had a roommate who had to leave school due to mono, all the usual colds/streps/etc. going through the dorm and all ok. We were even at a party once where a woman showed up with shingles (open sores!!) :voodoo:... and she knew there were three kids there on remicade (including one of hers) and one woman on chemo! I just told him to stay far away from her and wash his hands a few times while there!

But, he had no issues...