• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

URC - Snack and Diet tips?

Hey everyone!

I have been in a flare for about a good month now, but finally am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel - thanks to the Prednisone, that I can't wait to finish.

So far I have been eating a lot of:
Beef stew, chicken stew, meatloaf (the decent kind with no ketchup or jucky stuff), some zucchini, lots of eggs, more chicken breast, and occasionally some toast in the morning.

I have been trying to avoid carbs or grains in general, and have just been eating sweet potatoes.

I just bought a crockpot, and mean to use it A LOT.

Does anyone have a decent diet they follow, that could give me good pointers? I will go see a nutritionist as soon as I can, but for now I'd like to be able to make myself a weekly plan, and stick to it.

I'm 5"5', and weight 104lbs - for Europeans, I'm 1.65cm and weigh about 47/48kgs. Would love to go back to my regular 50/53kgs!

Thanks!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi! Happy to hear you are starting to feel a bit better.

As far as diet goes, I wish there was a specific diet we could all follow. But since IBD can be a very individualized condition when we talk about symptoms and things we can/can't tolderate, it's more important that you need to make sure you have a fair understanding of what foods/ingredients you personally can and cannot tolerate and build your diet off of that. Prednisone may be holding you over, but once you get off of pred and begin re-introducing certain foods back into your system after only eating soups and stews may be a bit of a shock to the system. So take your time in figuring things out.

An Elimination Diet is a good starting point for a lot of people. It can help you get clear on the foods you can/cannot tolerate. From there you can decide how you want to proceed. A dietitian/nutritionist may be helpful if your specific goal is to gain weight, however it's worth pointing out that while they can be good for building a basic diet, many are not well trained to help find a balanced, nutritious diet for people who have conditions such as ours so be realistic about your expectations from a dietitian/nutritionist.

I've personally been in remission for about 4 years now and I still struggle to find a balanced diet and weight because what my body chooses to tolerate changes from time to time. Then I go back to the elimination diet or some form of clean eating practice to try and get clear on what my body needs this time around.

Crockpots are the best! I have one also and I love it because it helps soften up foods a bit more making them easier for my body to digest them. Plus it's winter time and soups/stews are definitely on the menu for me. Good luck to you and let us know how you are getting along on your food journey.