• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Portacath

I am new to the forum, and I have already found a lot of helpful advice here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2008. I have been on Remicade for six years and it has been a great treatment for me. I am in remission now. I have perianal disease and a fistula, but the Remicade has been very helpful, and I now lead a relatively normal life--as normal as can be expected.

I receive my Remicade treatment every eight weeks, and my two good veins are now scar tissue. My last infusion was Saturday and the nurses took 25 minutes trying to find a vein to use for the IV. My veins are impossible (very small), and the only two good ones are now a problem. The nurses suggested I have a portacath put in to save my veins. My doctor agrees and wants to refer me to a interventional radiologist to place the port.

It seems drastic to me, maybe because it is invasive. It is also a constant reminder that I am not well. I am also worried about infection etc. Does anyone here on the forum have a port to administer their biologic? Can you offer any advice?

Thanks so much.

I just thought I'd give an update, in case someone else may be in the same situation. After three months of deliberation, and on the advice of three doctors, I had a port placed on Friday. I'll receive my next Remicade treatment in April, so I don't know yet how receiving it will be with my new port. All three doctors seem to think it will make my life easier. I am all for that! The pain from the surgery wasn't that bad--nothing compared to pain I've experienced with Crohn's. I'll give another update when I have the port accessed.