• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Steton stitch questions - new to this

Hi. I'm new on this forum and so happy I found you ☺. I've been diagnosed with UC in 2012 and have been doing well on trial medication with only 3 minor flare ups...that was till November 2016. What I first thought was a muscle pulling, ended up being an abscess and I received a steton stitch. I'm also waiting to hear from my GI and Colo-rectal surgeon as to whether they are changing my diagnosis to Crohn's. In the meantime - it's been a week now and I am still in quite a lot of pain and am verý uncomfortable. Should I be worried about it, and also that the puss is varying between bloody and yellowish? (Am doing salt baths up to 4 times a day) And...can I put gauze over the opening as my skin around the area is very sensitive already. Sorry for all the questions, but it is very new to me.

Welcome. Is your doctor aware of what is going on with the pain and the pus? If not let him know. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us informed on how you are doing.

cmack

Staff member
I have dealt with this before. I used 2'' square gauze pads to absorb the blood, puss and yellowish muck. I folded them in half and put them between my cheeks in the general area. It seemed to work for me. Those setons are very irritating no matter what you do though unfortunately. Still it's much better than an abscess. Give me a pm if you want to talk about this stuff, I'll try to help you.

Cheers.

dave13

Forum Monitor
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47942 This should be a link to the fistulas support group. Perhaps you already visited it.

I would let your colorectal doctor know of the discharge. There will be be pain/discomfort after a seton placement. I have five fistula with three that had draining setons placed. The drainage after the fistulotomy was heavy,but not puss and yellow. That sounds like an abscess. Call your colorectal doc and let them know you need to be seen.

I have had setons for a little under three years. It took a year and half to really be able to get use to them,for me.Having setons is an adjustment.

I use 4 by 4 sterile gauze pads. I cut them in half and get two 2 ply pads from it. Works well for me. I feel baths help,the heat promotes drainage and helps with comfort too.

Let us know how you progress.

I have dealt with this before. I used 2'' square gauze pads to absorb the blood, puss and yellowish muck. I folded them in half and put them between my cheeks in the general area. It seemed to work for me. Those setons are very irritating no matter what you do though unfortunately. Still it's much better than an abscess. Give me a pm if you want to talk about this stuff, I'll try to help you.

Cheers.
Thanks cmack. I'm definitely going to give the gauze a try.

Thank you so much Dave13. I wasn't aware of the fistula support group, I will have a look right now. It surely is a huge adjustment and I don't think anything can prepare one for it 100%. I just wish the pain will go away...as if the normal pain from IBD is not enough 😢. Does anyone use a cream or gel for the raw skin in the surrounding area?
Went back to the colorectal doc and he gave me antibiotics. Hopefully it will help a bit with the pain and discomfort.

dave13

Forum Monitor
You are welcome Madeleine. I do hope you check the support group out. Your experiences will add to the group.

Saying it is an adjustment is an understatement. Surgery is a big thing. Keep your surgeon in the loop of how you are doing. Pain is to be expected to a certain extent at the beginning,but let your surgeon know if it is excessive. Be descriptive,not it just hurts. I urge cleanliness too.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hey Mads,

I hope no news is good news! I have you in my thoughts and prayers.
I'll be here for you my friend. I would love an update,

cmack
Hi Cmack

Things have been crazy at work and I have been working long hours. I am much better since Wednesday. The pain is now much more bearable. I'm actually at the colorectal surgeons office for my follow up.

Hope things are well on your side?

Madelein

cmack

Staff member
Hey Mads,

I'm so glad to hear from you! Sounds like you are on the right track my friend. Let us/me know how things went at your follow up. I sure wish they would give you a bit of a break at work though. I guess nobody really much gets it unless they have been through it too. That's why I like you so much, you are a real trooper! You just seem to take it in stride.

All the best and positive thoughts coming your way,

cmack

Yes,glad the pain is better. I hope the appointment went well.
Hi Dave

Thanks for your tip on listing the questions. I had quite a bit of uncertainty cleared by having my list of questions. What shall I say about the appointment...he referred me back to my GI and should anything happen further my GI will have to refer me back to him. He basically said I'm stuck with the seton indefinitely.

I just have another question for you, please. After your seton(s), for how long did you still experience hardness in that area, same as when you had the abscess? I still have an area that is still quite soar and it feels as hard as before the seton to clear the abscess. Forgive me if I go into too much detail, and if I do, please let me know immediately.

Regards
Madelein

cmack

Staff member
Mads,

Hope you get that sorted out. Could be that it is still very swollen but I think you should mention this to your doctor. I hope it gets better soon.

Sending you my support my friend,

cmack.

P.S. That was a good Idea to make a list! I do that too and I find it really helps. Props to dave13 right on bud! Good advice!:)

Last edited:
Hey Mads,

I'm so glad to hear from you! Sounds like you are on the right track my friend. Let us/me know how things went at your follow up. I sure wish they would give you a bit of a break at work though. I guess nobody really much gets it unless they have been through it too. That's why I like you so much, you are a real trooper! You just seem to take it in stride.

All the best and positive thoughts coming your way,

cmack
Hi Cmack

Yes, I'm a fighter. I've been through a lot in life and lying down/giving up is not an option. This is just another item to add to my life experiences. What doesn't break you, makes you stronger and I think what everyone on this forum has to go through just make us better people, more empathetic to others. When I read what others have to go through, I try to still see the blessing in my situation. I also would not have "met" all you wonderful peeps 😀.

Mads,

Hope you get that sorted out. Could be that it is still very swollen but I think you should mention this to your doctor. I hope it gets better soon.

Sending you my support my friend,

cmack.

P.S. That was a good Idea to make a list! I do that too and I find it really helps. Props to dave13 right on bud good advice!
🤗 thank you. Hope you are doing well?

cmack

Staff member
Mads,

I'm doing as well as possible under the circumstances. Overall not too bad, but always room for improvement. Nothing really to complain about. Thanks for asking.

All the best my friend,

cmack.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then you fight them, then you win."
(Mahatma Gandhi)

dave13

Forum Monitor
You can not go into too much detail,in my opinion,when talking about IBD. Feel comfortable and describe accurately what you are going through.

Yeah,notes between visits help. Not that this has happened to me but don't forget to take the notes to your next appointment. :duh:

Yes,setons are a long term thing. I didn't like that news either. How long depends on the individual. Draining setons help the fistulas drain and prevent future abscesses and further damage. Except for some scarring,it should not feel hard around the fistula/seton. Let your surgeon know if it persists.

I felt like I could have rambled on,so I tried to be brief with my answers. Feel free to ask me anything. This is your thread.

cmack

Staff member
Mad's,

I agree with dave13. Hope you are OK. You can tell us anything, we all support each other around here. Trust me.

Thinking of you,:ysmile:

cmack

Last edited:
Hi all

Just another quick question. The "connection" point of the seton has moved to the outside. Will that be a problem and should I let my dr know? Since it moved out, the pain is substantially better (but could also be the antibiotics kicking in).

cmack

Staff member
Mads,

In my experience that's where you want it to be. As long as it is still in place it will keep draining like it is supposed to. It is only really a problem if it falls out.

All the best my friend,

cmack

Mads,

In my experience that's where you want it to be. As long as it is still in place it will keep draining like it is supposed to. It is only really a problem if it falls out.

All the best my friend,

cmack
Thanks a mill, again. I wasn't sure. All the seton stitches I googled showed it as a knot where mine is like a loop with a point where the ends are connected. I'm probably driving my GI insane with all my phone calls ☺ although he says he doesn't mind, I still feel bad.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Yeah,getting use to the knots is,ummm,challenging. Who would of thought such small knots would be felt. It is a rather sensitive area at the best of times,never mind setons.

I am on the side of communication is a good thing. Do we want to be a nuisance,no. Searching for answers is not being a nuisance. I consider it being assertive rather than being aggressive. When you are assertive you stand up for yourself as well as have respect and patience with who you are dealing with. You call with legitimate questions and they are the people who can answer these questions. We on the Forum are here for each other but it is the medical staff managing our individual case who need to be accessible and be willing to communicate. I get along great with my GI's nurse as well as my GI and they want me to call if I have questions.

I was looking for my car keys. Couldn't find them. I was seton on them! Ha,ha.

Yeah,getting use to the knots is,ummm,challenging. Who would of thought such small knots would be felt. It is a rather sensitive area at the best of times,never mind setons.

I am on the side of communication is a good thing. Do we want to be a nuisance,no. Searching for answers is not being a nuisance. I consider it being assertive rather than being aggressive. When you are assertive you stand up for yourself as well as have respect and patience with who you are dealing with. You call with legitimate questions and they are the people who can answer these questions. We on the Forum are here for each other but it is the medical staff managing our individual case who need to be accessible and be willing to communicate. I get along great with my GI's nurse as well as my GI and they want me to call if I have questions.

I was looking for my car keys. Couldn't find them. I was seton on them! Ha,ha.
Whahahaha, they were looking for the knots 😂
My GI is great, as well as his staff and I have great relationships with them. He always assures me that it's no problem for me to phone with questions. All his Crohns and UC patients has his cell number and we don't have to go through his staff. The problem lies with me that in I feel bad, but believe me...I am now starting to get over myself. 😉

My knots are all over the place, they move around a lot. I'm just happy when it is in a position that's not hurting. I have had my fair share of pain and can do with a little break. My painkillers have become good friends. 😊

Thanks for the advice.