• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Almond milk causes diarrhea?

I'm going from vegetarian to vegan, so I switched to almond milk. I had diarrhea for a week, with black stools, before realizing it's the milk. It does not have carrageenan in it, but is high in cane sugar. I've never had problems with almonds, just the milk, so I don't think I'm allergic. Anyone else have problems with it? It just tastes a lot better than rice milk. sigh.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
There are unsweetened versions of almond milk, those might work a bit better for you. There are also other milk alternatives out there - cashew milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, etc. You might want to give some of those a try and see if they are any easier on you.

I'm in a small town, so I'm not sure what we have available. I've seen rice and soy. I'd have to find some specialty store I guess. Never heard of ripple.

Ripple looks good though, with the protein and Omega 3. I'll have to look for it. Have you cooked with it?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've found some sort of powdered pea protein at my local grocery store - offhand I don't remember what brand it is. I add it to smoothies. I'll have to keep an eye out for pea milk as well!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I don't have trouble with almond milk, but coconut milk does give me diarrhea if I drink too much of it. The main ones I find here are: soy, coconut and almond milk. And, yes we do have rice as well. As much of a joy as it is, it's just a trial and error to find what works. I've been there too, so you're not alone!

I was reading about the different milks online yesterday, and apparently rice milk is a total ripoff. It only costs pennies a glass to make. I found some recipes, and made my own this morning. It's going to need some tweaking. :) It was a bit watery, but tasted fine on my cereal. They have recipes for nut milks as well. This way I can adjust the sugar level, and there's no added chemicals.