Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Mechanistic Insights Into CD Pathogenesis

01-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
xeridea

Mechanistic Insights Into CD Pathogenesis

A disturbance in mitochondrial function implicated in pathogenesis of Crohn's, and the bacteria Atopobium parvulum identified as a central player.

This paper, published in Nature, delves into the role of dysbiosis in Crohn's. The authors studied the interaction of the microbiota with the host by looking at endoscopic biopsy samples of new onset Crohn's in pediatric patients. By looking at the disease early on, they were able to glean a lot of interesting data. In particular, they suggest that altered mitochondrial functions, in particular, mitochondrial proteins that help the body detoxify hydrogen sulfide (H2S -- rotten egg gas) in the gut, are down-regulated and at the same time microbial producers of H2S are increased.

It's a well written and a bit long, but worth the read. They have documented their methods really well and have provided all study data for open access.

Edit: Here's a shorter article on same study.

Last edited by xeridea; 01-27-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add shorter article link
01-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'll give that a read. I love science!

cmack
01-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'll be a while with this one as it is very comprehensive. It also seems to have been conducted very well from what I can see so far.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Mechanistic Insights Into CD Pathogenesis