• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy this morning, diagnosed with UC and Proctitis...

Hi everyone. After having had blood in my bowels for around 3 months, initially thinking it might be haemorrhoids (wasn't), I had a colonoscopy this morning... and yes, the prep was far worse than the procedure, good grief... anyway, was diagnosed with UC of the upper colon, lower colon and rectum. The only symptoms I had beforehand were blood in the toilet/paper, which freaked me out, watery stools, and rushing to the toilet and feeling as though my bowels weren't entirely empty after (that feeling like a string is stuck somewhere in there... horrid!)

Have to say the nurses and doc were great during the procedure (and before and after). Gave me more pain relief at the halfway point as I was crying out in pain when he got to some bit where it really hurt badly... anyway the drugs are wearing off and i'm feeling sore in my right side but then he said he did about 30 biopsies

So I am hopefully OK now but bit sore.

But I've been so scared past few months and the only family I have in the UK is my 13 year old son, who has been so lovely through this and he is the one who "made me" finish my horrible cocktail of the Movi Prep yesterday lol... ("ok mum you can have a ten minute break now...") then ten minutes later he's back onto me with the glass... ;) That drink was truly horrendous. Tasted like a combination of sea water, spit, and Sprite way past it's sell by date. Just rank. I had to gag it down with diet coke. Least it killed the starvation I was feeling before hand...

So I have to wait four weeks for the biopsy results but doc said he didn't see anything horrible in there just the UC (but still all the biopsies?)... I have no idea what happens now, what I do, nothing... I wasn't told anything apart from they'd contact me with an appointment to come back. Not given any meds or any other advice.

So any friendly advice would be appreciated I could use a few friends on here I have very little knowledge of what this is...:sign0085:

Thanks x

scottsma

Hello and welcome and congratulation for getting through the prep.(with your son's support) You have exactly the same symptoms as I had when I was diagnosed over 10yrs ago.You'll probably wait for 4-6wks for the results of your biopsies but you could pester your GP or the GIs secretary if you think you've waited to long.I was diagnosed with Proctitis and was prescribed Asacol suppositories to help bring the bleeding and urgency under control.That took about a week to ten days.I then used just one a day as maintenance,for years,and more if I had a flare.They will try you on a mild med.at first to see how it suits you,then progress to something stronger if needed.
You'll find this forum and friends,really supportive and helpful.Please don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.We've heard it all,and of course your own posts will help others having the same problems.Feel better soon and please let us know how things go.

Hi everyone. After having had blood in my bowels for around 3 months, initially thinking it might be haemorrhoids (wasn't), I had a colonoscopy this morning... and yes, the prep was far worse than the procedure, good grief... anyway, was diagnosed with UC of the upper colon, lower colon and rectum. The only symptoms I had beforehand were blood in the toilet/paper, which freaked me out, watery stools, and rushing to the toilet and feeling as though my bowels weren't entirely empty after (that feeling like a string is stuck somewhere in there... horrid!)

Have to say the nurses and doc were great during the procedure (and before and after). Gave me more pain relief at the halfway point as I was crying out in pain when he got to some bit where it really hurt badly... anyway the drugs are wearing off and i'm feeling sore in my right side but then he said he did about 30 biopsies

So I am hopefully OK now but bit sore.

But I've been so scared past few months and the only family I have in the UK is my 13 year old son, who has been so lovely through this and he is the one who "made me" finish my horrible cocktail of the Movi Prep yesterday lol... ("ok mum you can have a ten minute break now...") then ten minutes later he's back onto me with the glass... ;) That drink was truly horrendous. Tasted like a combination of sea water, spit, and Sprite way past it's sell by date. Just rank. I had to gag it down with diet coke. Least it killed the starvation I was feeling before hand...

So I have to wait four weeks for the biopsy results but doc said he didn't see anything horrible in there just the UC (but still all the biopsies?)... I have no idea what happens now, what I do, nothing... I wasn't told anything apart from they'd contact me with an appointment to come back. Not given any meds or any other advice.

So any friendly advice would be appreciated I could use a few friends on here I have very little knowledge of what this is...:sign0085:

Thanks x
I hear ya about MoviPrep! That is the NASTIEST stuff other than the despicable Volumen I had to drink for the CTE. MoviPrep really does work fast - I was empty in a matter of 2 hours but drank the 2nd canister anyway. I had my colonoscopy in July 2016 but it was normal (I was later diagnosed with a leaking ovarian cyst that was causing abdominal pain).