• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strange stomach pain

L (7) has had some strange stomach pain lately, and I was wondering if this sounds like anything of note to any of you. What happens starts in late afternoon or evening. She says her stomach doesn't feel well, but it's mild. She decides not to eat dinner or eats only a few bites. Around bedtime, she starts complaining of stomach pain. She says it's not nausea, but it seems to lead to nausea. Her sleep for the first part of the night is interrupted and she has periods of notable chills (trembling, teeth chattering) but doesn't run a fever. She starts complaining of both pain and nausea, but also can't stay awake (it's late at this point). Eventually, after four or five hours, all the symptoms subside and she falls asleep. In the morning she feels fine. We've been through this three times in the last two weeks. The second time P (my husband) took her to the ER. They did bloodwork, tested her urine, and took x-rays looking for pneumonia and bowel obstruction. Everything was normal, so they thought it was just a weird virus and sent her home. But now it's happened again and it just doesn't seem like a virus. Does anyone have any ideas?

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you told her GI ?
They would be my first call
Chills and stomach pain would be stool tests maybe imaging
Etc...
Crohns or other GI things tend to start in the middle of the night
What about her liver

Have you told her GI ?
They would be my first call
Chills and stomach pain would be stool tests maybe imaging
Etc...
Crohns or other GI things tend to start in the middle of the night
What about her liver
I did call the GI after the ER trip and they haven't called back (they usually return calls in 24 hours, so not sure what's up there. I need to call again.) All the liver function bloods came back normal.

The other times I've called GI about digestive issues, they always order liver function bloods which have been normal since L started Prednisone all that time ago, and don't do anything else. Maybe I just need to squeak a little louder.

That sounds similar to what I experienced. I got the chills so bad sometimes that my teeth would chatter. And as far as I know it wasn't a fever. I can sure relate to the pain and nausea. I really don't have the answers. I just figured it was part of the Crohn's. Crohn's can sure do some strange things to you.

As far as the chills, have you had your thyroid checked? I get cold easily sometimes and it turns out it had to do with my thyroid.