• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Husband diagnosed with Crohn's disease 6 years ago

My husband was in the military and got disability for artharitis and sever acne. He was perscribed 800 mg ibuprofen and techrocyclient (mg?) daily or twice a day. He took this for at least 10 years. He started having stomach pains, and then blood in stool. He went to hospital and was diagnosed with IBD. He went to the VA hospital and they look at his test and diagnosed him with crohns disease and put him on medication. He has been able to handle his flare ups with the dosage he is on mesalamine 400mg 2 caps a day. He is putting in for a disability in his VA benefits since we saw that his Crohns deisease was probably caused by the VA perscribing these too medications for over 10 years. Has anyone heard that this combination taken over that period of time can cause crohn's. I read that somewhere and now can't finde it.

Welcome. I am sorry that your husband has Crohns Disease. I have been told that since I have Crohns Disease I can't take anything like Advil or aspirin. I was told the only medication that I could take similar to that is Tylenol.

He is putting in for a disability in his VA benefits since we saw that his Crohns deisease was probably caused by the VA perscribing these too medications for over 10 years. Has anyone heard that this combination taken over that period of time can cause crohn's. I read that somewhere and now can't finde it.
The cause of Crohn's disease is unknown. At the moment scientists say Crohn's is likely caused by a combination of genetics and various environmental factors but they don't know exactly what is going on for sure. I do not think it could be proved that taking some medications for a long period of time would cause Crohn's.

Scipio

My guess is that you read some speculation (rather than fact) that Ibuprofen, an NSAID that can damage the gut, and tetracycline, an antibiotic that can sometimes mess up the normal bacteria in the gut, might together over a long period of usage increase the risk of Crohn's.

It kind of makes logical sense that something like that combination of drugs taken for 10 years might cause problems with the digestive system. But I have not seen any research showing that it can definitely cause Crohn's. Like eleanor_rigby said, the cause of Crohn's is not known.

scottsma

I agree with Scipio.Ibuprofin is not recommended for people with crohns,but it won't cause it.I think crohns has reared it's ugly head sometime during the last 10yrs and the ibuprofen may have aggravated it.

I suspect 800 mg Ibuprofen for 10 years can cause digestive problems. But like the others I don't think it can be proven to be a cause for Crohn's.