• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma Belt

Hello, just a quick question.

I had open bowel surgery in October to remove half my colon and to create a temp ileostomy because of a perforation. I have finally gotten the courage to go to the gym, and obviously I am going to be using a belt to protect myself from getting a hernia.

Has anyone used the belts and are they safe? I mean my stoma is literally squished flat haha, my stoma nurse said its fine but I'm seriously worried about it getting blocked under there or something worse. Thanks in advance.

I have used the pheonix and slealth belt. both are soft belts. both offer some sort of leakage protection. going to gym? go for you. thats courage. good luck. if u have a flat stoma tho was b/c of having it banged? mine sticks out about 3/4 inch. I do not exercise. I use the belts to hide and support the thing only. have you looked into the special briefs yet? lmk. good stuff for support and protection.