Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Barium or Colonoscopy Prep?

05-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
JessPeper

My Support Groups:
Barium or Colonoscopy Prep?

I just finished my second bottle of Vanilla flavored barium for my CT scan. I think I would by far take the Colonoscopy prep any day over the barium! Yuck!

The last contrast CT I had done they gave some stuff that was like fruity water, it was tolerable even though I still ended up throwing most of it up.

Which would you rather drink?

Dx with CD 4/16

Ileocecectomy 3/17

Reoccurrence 8/17

Current Medications: Lialda 4.8g daily, Azathioprine 100mg daily, Prednisone 20 mg daily. B12, Folic Acid, Primal Defense probiotic.
05-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Jabee

My Support Groups:
Ever since it took me over a month to get rid of that thick barium from an upper GI series I have asked for the contrast they mix with fruit juice. It's what they use for emergent CT scans, and I remain forever grateful to the tech that told me I could use it. To top it off, I am frequntly nauseated (aren't we always, when in a flare?) and the thick stuff is practically impossible under those conditions. Good luck!

Last edited by Jabee; 05-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
05-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
JessPeper

My Support Groups:
Ever since it took me over a month to get rid of that thick barium from an upper GI series I have asked for the contrast they mix with fruit juice. It's what they use for emergent CT scans, and I remain forever grateful to the tech that told me I could use it. To top of off, I am frequntly nauseated (aren't we always, when in a flare?) and the thick stuff is practically impossible under those conditions. Good luck!
The fruit flavored stuff was what they had given me the day I had my surgery. I would have gladly taken that again. The "vanilla milkshake" was thick and sat very heavy! By the time I was to the end of the second bottle I was gagging with every sip. When I got to the hospital the x-ray tech handed me a glass of lemon lime soda with some iodine in it and asked me if I could drink it. I laughed at him. Apologized after I laughed but said no way. I was having all to do to keep the barium in.

I don't think I'll have an issue with it sticking with me for long... enough said!

Thanks Jabee!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Barium or Colonoscopy Prep?