• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy biopsy - worried

Hi,

I've been reading threads on here for a while but this is the first time I've posted. Very quick history, for the past 10 or so years I've suffered with a recurrent skin condition which I finally had diagnosed through biopsy last year as being a (very rare) manifestation of crohns. I've also suffered on and off with stomach symptoms for the past few years, which was put down to ibs until the diagnosis suggested it's more likely ibd.

After waiting over a year since the first biopsy, and over 6 months since a faecal calprotectin test confirmed stomach symptoms may be linked, I finally had a colonoscopy last Thursday. The doctor found a 'mass' during colonoscopy which he initially thought was at the ileum terminal as expected, but then realised was actually centred around the appendix area, which he wasn't expecting. He took loads of biopsies from the mass and also from the ileum terminal, and he said he is sending them off to be urgently looked at. I was pretty woozy from the sedatives, but he said something about wanting to rule out it being cancerous. He tried to reassure me that he just wants to be safe than sorry, and if it does come back nasty there are things that can be done, but bearing in mind 'urgent results' on the nhs take 2 weeks, I am struggling to stop myself really worrying.

I am only 31, have two young boys, and lost my dad to cancer almost 3 years ago, so it's still a very sensitive area for me. Just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same boat, and if it really is just a formality that they often check biopsies for cancer, or if this is unusual?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I've been reading threads on here for a while but this is the first time I've posted. Very quick history, for the past 10 or so years I've suffered with a recurrent skin condition which I finally had diagnosed through biopsy last year as being a (very rare) manifestation of crohns. I've also suffered on and off with stomach symptoms for the past few years, which was put down to ibs until the diagnosis suggested it's more likely ibd.

After waiting over a year since the first biopsy, and over 6 months since a faecal calprotectin test confirmed stomach symptoms may be linked, I finally had a colonoscopy last Thursday. The doctor found a 'mass' during colonoscopy which he initially thought was at the ileum terminal as expected, but then realised was actually centred around the appendix area, which he wasn't expecting. He took loads of biopsies from the mass and also from the ileum terminal, and he said he is sending them off to be urgently looked at. I was pretty woozy from the sedatives, but he said something about wanting to rule out it being cancerous. He tried to reassure me that he just wants to be safe than sorry, and if it does come back nasty there are things that can be done, but bearing in mind 'urgent results' on the nhs take 2 weeks, I am struggling to stop myself really worrying.

I am only 31, have two young boys, and lost my dad to cancer almost 3 years ago, so it's still a very sensitive area for me. Just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same boat, and if it really is just a formality that they often check biopsies for cancer, or if this is unusual?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm sorry to read this. I can understand why you're worried, however try not to be (easier said than done, I know).
I was under the impression that it was pretty standard to test biopsies for cancerous cells. At least that's what I was told. I'm still awaiting results from mine too. (Mine were taken during an op on a fistula, not a colonoscopy)

I came across this the other day. It's so true xxx

Thanks. I hope you're right and it is just standard for them to test for cancerous cells. Just scares you seeing the words 'mass' and 'probably benign' tumour of some sort on the report! That and the fast tracking (!) of the results, though I'm glad it'll only be 2 instead of 3-6 weeks to wait. I was trying to get out of the consultant if I should worry, asking if it was just the unusual siting of the mass, or if it was the look of it that was making him check it. And he did say it looked like what he was expecting to find with crohns, so I'm really hoping that's all it is. And as he said, my crohns so far is being very unusual, so perhaps the stomach part is just following suit.

Fingers crossed we both get good news (as good as it can be), and thanks for the quote!

Thanks. I hope you're right and it is just standard for them to test for cancerous cells. Just scares you seeing the words 'mass' and 'probably benign' tumour of some sort on the report! That and the fast tracking (!) of the results, though I'm glad it'll only be 2 instead of 3-6 weeks to wait. I was trying to get out of the consultant if I should worry, asking if it was just the unusual siting of the mass, or if it was the look of it that was making him check it. And he did say it looked like what he was expecting to find with crohns, so I'm really hoping that's all it is. And as he said, my crohns so far is being very unusual, so perhaps the stomach part is just following suit.

Fingers crossed we both get good news (as good as it can be), and thanks for the quote!
Fingers crossed. Keep us posted. I will too. X

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Myci85
It is natural to be worried..who wouldn't be
Two years ago.something similar happened to me on colonoscopy where a 4.6cmtumour was found in the rightcolon and could not
Be removed through the scope.
A few weeks later I had laparoscopic surgery to remove it but it was considered pre cancerous so the right side colon was totally removed together with about fifteen lymph nodes. No bags were needed thank goodness...I had an excellent surgeon.
Pathology of the tissues showed no obvious cancers. So no chemo
I made a good but slow recovery and now it's great no more problems that side.
Naturally it was a very tense time especially waiting for results.
It may be you have a similar problem and the surgery will discover the exact problem and it's extent.
Chances are on your side that it may not be cancerous so try not to worry too much on that score.
I would expect that things will move a lot faster for you once the biopsy results are known.
Crohns can be a great imitator also.
Two weeks can seem like a lifetime when waiting for results but usually if something nasty is found they will be in touch sooner.
It does take a week processing the tissue from biopsies since specific processing in the lab requires this time after which the pathologist will read the prepared biopsy tissue results under the microscope...and report and discuss the results with your doctors.
I am sure there will be others along shortly to share their experiences with you
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I was told that anytime a mass is found, it is sent out to be processed to determine if it is cancerous. My GI advised that a majority are not. That doesn't help stress levels when waiting though. My thoughts are with you.

Trysha

Staff member
PS..it is standard procedure for all tissues removed at biopsy to be examined for cancer cells as well as other types such as inflammatory cells etc.
Sorebutt ..just love your poster...thank you

Thank you all for your replies. The fact it seems pretty standard procedure to test has definitely made me feel better.

Trysha that sounds like a very worrying time for you but I'm glad all worked out ok.

My fingers are well and truly crossed that nothing comes of this other than the expected crohns outcome. And that the 2 weeks passes quickly!

Scipio

Another thing in your favor is your age. While it's not impossible, to have bowel cancer at age 31 would b VERY rare.

When I was going through my initial flare and investigations I was terrified that I had bowel cancer. Like you, I couldn't bear the thought of how it would affect my two young children.
When I found out that I had Crohn's I was overjoyed that it wasn't what I'd dreaded, only to be met by the response of someone who is a doctor - "Why are you so happy? At least they can cure bowel cancer"!

Not the best response I could have had, but at least it puts some things into perspective!