• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can MS drugs raise calprotectin levels?

Hello all,

I've not posted on here in agesss as things Crohn's wise have been doing fine. However 6 months ago I started treatment for ms. It's called gilenya. My bathroom habits have changed though and instead of going regularly it's now the opposite. I can go days without going and when I do my stomach is sore and crampy for a while afterwards. I was having lots of pain going to the toilet a few weeks ago but my mum was taking hospital with blood clots in her lung and I just put my new stomach issues down to stress. I was to hand in a sample for my regular check up with my Crohn's dr which is not until next month and today when I was seeing my gp he told me my calprotectin levels were 700. Looong story short am I in another flare or could my new medication be the factor for the raised levels??? Any help very much appreciated.

Hope you all are as well as you can possibly be!! Xxx

D

Deleted member 431298

Have a look at the reseach at www.humanpara.org. You will find references linking both MS and Crohn to the MAP bacteria (mycobacterium paratuberculosis). Calcprotectin is a protein which is also associated with mycobacteria. The research is not yet 100 pct conclusive, but I would definately try to avoid all sources of MAP (mainly dairy and beef from dairy cow meat) and also try to get tested for MAP.